What percentage of protein do you use for your CornishX?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by randyandmegs, Jun 2, 2010.

1. randyandmegs

randyandmegs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Columbus NC
    I know everybody seems to have a different opinion on this but I could use some advice. I started my birds on a Blue Seal Organic feed that is 22%. It was $33 per 50 lb so I cant afford that but I also cant find anybody else that makes a non medicated 22% ration. It was either 20% or 28% gamebird type feed. What do you guys feed and suggest. BTW... In 3 weeks my birds go into a Salatin style pen that will be on awesome grasses and moved daily. I will continue to keep the same feed in there along with the grasses.

2. petrelline

petrelline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    $33! Wow, I thought I was paying a lot for organic.

I personally think 20% is fine, but if you really want 22% then get the 20% and the 28% and mix them. I've done this in the past with two bins next to the pen and then I just scoop the mix out in the right proportion when I fill the feeders -- I don't bother to actually mix all the feed ahead of time.

3. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    I am using 20% with mine and they are fat and sassy - and pooping!

4. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    I fed mine between 20 and 24%. More the latter than the former because TSC tended to be sold out of the lower protein stuff. My biggest cornish x dressed at 7.5lbs at 7 weeks. Eeeek.

5. EGGTASKTIC

EGGTASKTIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    WESTERN PA
    18 % from the local feed mill- Had a long conversation with the "mixer" and he said I was wasting money, if not raising in a confined environment trying to push more than 18%. I must say I was skeptical but the results have be wonderful. The feed is 14.70 a hundred so I can raise more meaties. BTW no blown legs- none lost at all to 8 weeks when processed. The birds are cleaner as they do not have the runs as in the previous small batches I did. My wife was even impressed with the quality-- and those boneless breasts in the vacuum pack made up the those little stink pots in the house for the first 2 weeks.

good luck

6. randyandmegs

randyandmegs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Columbus NC
    Good advice from all so far. So am I right in assuming too much protein is a major contributor in leg problems? I may mix 24 if I can find it with 20% and go back to 20 after they go in the outside pen.

7. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    Where you get the leg problems are when you keep feed by them at all times i do mine in 12 hrs shifts and i feed 24%. I feed for 12 hrs and then take it away but i keep them plenty of water with the broiler booster in it. Havent had any problems in last couple 7 or 8 years doing it this way i usually run about a 150 meat chicks a year this way. Everyone here has thier own way of doing it you just have to find the right way that works for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by