What pest am I dealing with!? Help!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JTPhillips, Aug 10, 2016.

1. JTPhillips

JTPhillips Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2016
    We've delt w the fox issue and seems to have resolved since I last shot at it (may have hit it, not sure) but this has happened twice now and I'm scratching my head to what this could possibly if any outsider at all.. Please see pics, the feathers are def coming from the wings! [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Do you have a rooster? Looks like rooster damage.

1 person likes this.
  3. JTPhillips

Mar 8, 2016
    I do have one adult and 2 cockerels... this isn't too aggressive ? I did notice some of his feathers as well

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    How many hens do you have? Sounds like your hens are getting overmated, or at least the favorite is. Might want to buy her a hen saddle :)

5. JTPhillips

Mar 8, 2016
    7 Hens

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Seven hens for three roosters is probably why you're having this issue now - the standard recommendation is ten hens per rooster to avoid this type of thing. Depending on the individual roosters you might be able to get away with less but it sounds like you need more hens or fewer roosters.

7. JTPhillips

Mar 8, 2016
    Two of them are potentially roosters still only 5 months old, we plan on getting rid of them when they crow and we have confirmation they're def roosters. We only have 1 adult rooster which is a bantam breed (silkie) 7 hens for 1 adult rooster should be fine in the research I've done. Mind you 5 of these hens are still young also, haven't even started laying yet but should be any day now.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  8. JTPhillips

Mar 8, 2016
    I've been working on "evening" out my flock as we know how reliable sexing of the chics are. My two Americanas which were suppose to be hens are starting to potentially show rooster signs but not 100% sure yet too early to tell. So once we know they will go if they end up being roos.

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    5 month old roosters will ride a hen or pullet even if she is not breeding age. they do not care. I think you need to put them on the camp bus. I have a 3 month old rooster in isolation, he is too small for the rooster pen, they will kill him and he will not leave the girls alone. I am thinking he could become a Cornish game hen.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    I have one BCM cockerel and 7 hens. He breeds them all, but prefers Red (New Hanpshire). She looks just like your hen. Lol Doesn't seem to bother her. Sticks to him like glue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by