what predator eats everything but the feathers?

Cebarmlds

Free Ranging
13 Years
Oct 8, 2010
mn
I lost a 20 week old pullet this week, all that was left was feathers in the woods. I think it was a hawk or an eagle from the marks on the drive but not positive. Where I found her feathers there was some scat from a canine type I believe, it had fur in it. One looked only a day or two old another was pretty dry. Do you think that's coincidance, that the hawk took my chick to a spot where something else pooped? or do you think a coyote or fox took my chicken? it happened in the afternoon.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote:
coyote? fox? cat? i had a roo tied to a tree once cuz he kept hurting the other chickens in the flock and i went out to feed him the next day and all there was was feathers, we have fox around and coyotes but the coyoteys usully will drag it away so im thinking a fox got mine. idk tho what could have gotten it.

what predator eats everything but the feathers?

It could have been anything at all.

There's no real proof the one that killed it ate it all.
It could have just carried the body away. or something else could have.​

No real proof, but i'd say i got home to find the others at my door freaking out a sign that it just happened and i herded them into the pen and went following the feather trail and she was competely gone but the feathers, no beak, no feet. The cat was upset too so he saw it happen also. The cat is the same color as the chickens so he could be a target. This was my 1st chicken loss so I guess it's the hardest.

Stephanie1992 -
That's what a rooster will do- be aggressive so why tie it to a tree? they don't have enough brain to figure out it's being punished let alone why it's being punished! It would be kinder to just take an axe to it. I wouldn't even tie a dog outside for the night.

Quote:
Well aren't we all self-righteous. His roo his choice. He said he was separating the roo, not that he was trying to teach him to be nice. For the record there is nothing wrong with leaving a dog tied up all night, people need to quit humanizing their animals so much. Anything I do for my dog is 10x the treatment he would receive in the wild, even being tied up for a night if I deemed it necessary. Dogs have been tied up for thousands of years, nothing wrong with it. My dog has no problem staying outside on a chain, better than letting him run amuk possibly endangering others pets/livestock.

The hawks pluck them before they eat them. I have found piles of feathers, if you look up, it's usually under a limb they can use as the dining table.

Quote:
Well aren't we all self-righteous. His roo his choice. He said he was separating the roo, not that he was trying to teach him to be nice. For the record there is nothing wrong with leaving a dog tied up all night, people need to quit humanizing their animals so much. Anything I do for my dog is 10x the treatment he would receive in the wild, even being tied up for a night if I deemed it necessary. Dogs have been tied up for thousands of years, nothing wrong with it. My dog has no problem staying outside on a chain, better than letting him run amuk possibly endangering others pets/livestock.

You can separate the roo by putting it in a pen by itself, tied up outside is asking for it to be killed by a predator. And just because you chain up your dog doesn't make it right. I find it cruel so I wouldn't do it. Lots of things happen all the time, doesn't make it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
coyote? fox? cat? i had a roo tied to a tree once cuz he kept hurting the other chickens in the flock and i went out to feed him the next day and all there was was feathers, we have fox around and coyotes but the coyoteys usully will drag it away so im thinking a fox got mine. idk tho what could have gotten it.

you tied your roo to a tree?????? and expected him to be there the next day???????????

Back
Top Bottom