What predator leaves feathers of 1 hen and takes 2 w/ no trace?

TeriS

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 28, 2010
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2 nights ago, I had 2 hens taken overnight w/o a trace and the 3rd had only lots of feathers left behind. We've lost 3 out of 11 hens! My husband said that he had seen an animal like a cat- w/ very pointy ears, legs longer in back than front and testicles that hung down. He saw it for the first time about 3 days ago. We live in NE Indiana- I know we have foxes nearby and raccoons, but is it possible that this 'cat' could have done this? Could it possibly be a bob cat in our area? He said it appeared a little larger than a housecat and had a loping gait. This happened overnight, because our hens didn't want to go into their coop and get closed in, so he left them out overnight. What kind of predator am I dealing with and how do we keep the remainder of our girls safe? They are all being kept in their coop now. They were used to free ranging however, but we are stopping that. Any advice or suggestions? We've had hens for 2 years and never had any problem like this before.

It is very likely that you have a fox that is doing this. But the way you described it, it sounds like you have a bobcat in the area as well. As long as you put the hens in at night you should be able to let them free range during the day, unless you are apposed to that now. If you put them in at night they should be alright if your coop is secured. Just listen for any strange or unusuall sounds that might be something you dont want around.

Thank you all!
Does anyone know if bob cats even exist in NE Indiana? My husband says he's going to shoot it if he sees it again.....I don't want him to do that:( But I also don't want my chickens going missing either....

Back
Top Bottom