What predator leaves the head and a few feathers?

Chicklova

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 10, 2014
Just found Lucy next to the coop with her whole body missing except her head and a few feathers where the attack took place. The coop is inside a huge fenced-in (not covered) area which was not disturbed. I did find a few more feathers outside, behind the coop trailing into the woods but no feathers in between. I'm hoping someone out here might know what predator just leaves the head.

I have found birds headless in the past but never just the head. If you have a game camera, put it up because most likely whatever it is has been lurking looking for an opportunity and will be back since it made a kill and then you will know what you're dealing with. If it was inside your pen, I would guess it could be most any predator, a cat, fox, coyote maybe a bobcat. You never know. An owl usually only takes the head and leaves no feathers behind. Good luck...

Just found Lucy next to the coop with her whole body missing except her head and a few feathers where the attack took place. The coop is inside a huge fenced-in (not covered) area which was not disturbed. I did find a few more feathers outside, behind the coop trailing into the woods but no feathers in between. I'm hoping someone out here might know what predator just leaves the head.
A friggin Raccoon I put up these Seansor lights get a great detail at night when they come on who’s at the pen and yes one year raccoons, on year hen hawk came back next day finish the job and was in the pen was it’s last meal when my husband found him there. I have a chicken wire top to bottom now and sensor lights to see any visitors they no longer leave at night with any meal!

Back
Top Bottom