What predator would leave these marks

Sep 3, 2022
I’ve had a chicken go missing with few feathers left behind, now my Easter egg has been attacked and is missing feathers on her back end. What predators would leave theses marks?

Attachments

• 88C4E12D-02F2-4D54-B977-274749D289E3.jpeg
    88C4E12D-02F2-4D54-B977-274749D289E3.jpeg
    516.3 KB · Views: 312
Hello! Can you get a picture with the entire back end of the bird in view please? And maybe one with a back/side angle, so you can see the tail and the whole wing?

It almost looks like pecking from other chickens. Several of my younger pullets and cockerels that I recently hatched had plucked feathers right under, above, and near the tail, and I figured out it was from their siblings picking on them because their cage was too small. Are you absolutely positive that it was a predator? Are there any other tell-tale signs of an attack?

Hello! Can you get a picture with the entire back end of the bird in view please? And maybe one with a back/side angle, so you can see the tail and the whole wing?

It almost looks like pecking from other chickens. Several of my younger pullets and cockerels that I recently hatched had plucked feathers right under, above, and near the tail, and I figured out it was from their siblings picking on them because their cage was too small. Are you absolutely positive that it was a predator? Are there any other tell-tale signs of an attack?
This happened in one day and feathers are in two different spots like it was fighting for it’s life. They aren’t picking on them now. It’s not too little of a cage because they free range all day. I had another bird disappear about 3 days ago. With feathers in a straight line or pile like they ate it right there.

Interesting. It does sound like a predator now that you say that.
We have saw coyote's, but it’s been months since we herd or saw another one. It’s been over a year since I saw a fox. I did see my neighbors three dogs leave my yard, but I’d imagine with 3 they would have went after more than one.

I’ve had a chicken go missing with few feathers left behind, now my Easter egg has been attacked and is missing feathers on her back end. What predators would leave theses marks?
Sorry for your loss. :(

I can't see the marks beyond being plucked.. but I gather you think she had a near miss. (doesn't sound like your other is on a hidden broody nest, with a few feathers left behind)

Knowing location and set up will help with suggestions.. Did it happen in daytime? What is the fencing type/height? How long since you're other one went missing? (I see some answers, already given as I type this.)

Top *current* guess.. possible (likely) avian predator attack. (Hawk, Eagle, etc)

I usually go on lockdown until they go elsewhere.. during times of high predation.. usually for a short time every spring.

While I prefer free ranging.. it's worth it to save lives, in MY experinece.

https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/coops/what-killed-my-chicken-homestead-supplier/

https://poultry.extension.org/artic...gement-for-small-and-backyard-poultry-flocks/

:fl

Sorry for your loss. :(

I can't see the marks beyond being plucked.. but I gather you think she had a near miss. (doesn't sound like your other is on a hidden broody nest, with a few feathers left behind)

Knowing location and set up will help with suggestions.. Did it happen in daytime? What is the fencing type/height? How long since you're other one went missing? (I see some answers, already given as I type this.)

Top *current* guess.. possible (likely) avian predator attack. (Hawk, Eagle, etc)

I usually go on lockdown until they go elsewhere.. during times of high predation.. usually for a short time every spring.

While I prefer free ranging.. it's worth it to save lives, in MY experinece.

https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/coops/what-killed-my-chicken-homestead-supplier/

https://poultry.extension.org/artic...gement-for-small-and-backyard-poultry-flocks/

:fl
I planned on keeping them put up for a few weeks. Which sucks because I just took up space to put my new chickens out to get used to the flock.

Attachments

• B040E736-1A5C-4EDE-B68A-DC64293B3DD9.jpeg
    B040E736-1A5C-4EDE-B68A-DC64293B3DD9.jpeg
    579.4 KB · Views: 7
  • C163164F-7227-448A-8DD4-8AB21137F1B3.jpeg
    C163164F-7227-448A-8DD4-8AB21137F1B3.jpeg
    627.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 178C411C-3CDE-48E8-8451-DC0C349C9D5E.jpeg
    178C411C-3CDE-48E8-8451-DC0C349C9D5E.jpeg
    535.8 KB · Views: 8
It does look like bullying from other chickens or maybe a small predator like a
It does look like bullying from other chickens or maybe a small predator like a weasel
I don’t think it’s a weasel or my chickens picking on each other. The first chicken disappeared with about three feet of feathers in a line and this one’s feathers are in a similar fashion but with a break in the 5 feet spreed of her wing, tail and back feathers.

Back
Top Bottom