What predator was this?

• Total voters
I don’t mean to be rude, but I’m pretty sure somebody else posted saying not to set the trap until you have a way of dispatching the animal. By relocating it, you’re not solving the problem, you’re just moving it somewhere else for someone else to deal with.
I
I don't know where you all live, but in my county there are many areas where an animal could be relocated to that would give it the same type environment without houses nearby with chickens and other small pets to worry about. I haven't had to do this, but I would think moving one would be fine. My problem with it is, this is early summer. I was going to trap and relocate a young raccoon, but I researched it first and found out it needs mama for 6-8 mos. I'd have to wait until October at least. By that time, my dog will have sufficiently discouraged it from coming in the yard. Of course no one gets any sleep around here when she smells it in the middle of the night. She's out the door in a flash and barking up a storm. LOL but, that's a better problem to deal with than a raccoon trying to get into the chicken coop.

I don't know where you all live, but in my county there are many areas where an animal could be relocated to that would give it the same type environment without houses nearby with chickens and other small pets to worry about. I haven't had to do this, but I would think moving one would be fine.
Well, it's illegal to trap and relocate an animal like a raccoon in NC (unless it's released right back onto the same property).

Looks like it is in Washington state as well.
https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/species/procyon-lotor#living
""It is unlawful to release wildlife anywhere within the state, other than on the property where it was legally trapped, without a permit to do so (RCW 77.15.250). Except for bona fide public or private zoological parks, persons and entities are prohibited from importing raccoons into Washington State without a permit to do so.""

I don't know where you all live, but in my county there are many areas where an animal could be relocated to that would give it the same type environment without houses nearby with chickens and other small pets to worry about.
That's only a small part of the issue of relocation,
and the ranges of animals is probably larger than you think.

My view on relocation of chicken predators and/or nuisance animals.

It's really better to kill them...for many reasons.

-You've just introduced trap savvy pest/predator animals into someone else's 'backyard'.

-The spread of disease is a very real aspect and why it's illegal in many states to relocate trapped predator animals.

-Releasing an animal into another animals territory could well sign it's death warrant anyway, in case you were thinking of 'saving' the 'poor little creature'. Probably a worse death than a quick shot to the head or even a 'trashcan drowning'.

Since we've displaced their habitat (and more importantly their natural predators habitat) and fed them to overpopulation with our garbage (intentionally or not)...IMO, it is our duty to become the 'apex predator' and kill them when they become a problem to the extent that we need to trap them.

Well, it's illegal to trap and relocate an animal like a raccoon in NC (unless it's released right back onto the same property).

Looks like it is in Washington state as well.
https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/species/procyon-lotor#living
""It is unlawful to release wildlife anywhere within the state, other than on the property where it was legally trapped, without a permit to do so (RCW 77.15.250). Except for bona fide public or private zoological parks, persons and entities are prohibited from importing raccoons into Washington State without a permit to do so.""
Looks to me like all I need is a permit. My county is a pretty down to earth, practical kind of place. Our sheriff doesn't support and will not enforce our new gun laws, for example. The game warden came out when we had an injured deer and indicated we could have put it down ourselves (also illegal) and let them know we did and where. Some places in this country haven't gone crazy with regulations. I'm lucky to be in one. I'm not trapping right now, and we do have dispatch means, but I will get the skinny before I do anything like that. No worries.

That's only a small part of the issue of relocation,
and the ranges of animals is probably larger than you think.

My view on relocation of chicken predators and/or nuisance animals.

It's really better to kill them...for many reasons.

-You've just introduced trap savvy pest/predator animals into someone else's 'backyard'.

-The spread of disease is a very real aspect and why it's illegal in many states to relocate trapped predator animals.

-Releasing an animal into another animals territory could well sign it's death warrant anyway, in case you were thinking of 'saving' the 'poor little creature'. Probably a worse death than a quick shot to the head or even a 'trashcan drowning'.

Since we've displaced their habitat (and more importantly their natural predators habitat) and fed them to overpopulation with our garbage (intentionally or not)...IMO, it is our duty to become the 'apex predator' and kill them when they become a problem to the extent that we need to trap them.
I agree. We live rural on a dead end road. A few years ago someone was catching and releasing skunks in our area. For awhile I was overrun with skunks. Someone also dropped off a gosling in our driveway. I suppose since we have chickens they thought we would like a goose.

Again, I'm not sure it's wrong to relocate a raccoon, if I know there are no babies, and I know it doesn't still need its mama. We have one game warden at a time patrolling the whole countryside, and he cannot be everywhere at the same time. The deer that was injured had to suffer for more than 8 hours before he got to us. It wasn't hunting season, so we didn't shoot it to put it out of its misery. He said we should have shot it and then told him where it was so he could come pick up the carcass. I don't know what he would say about the raccoons, but I think I should ask. When I find out, I wont be telling you all. LOL Not because it wouldn't be fun discussion, but because you feel so strongly about how you think animals should be "dispatched". I don't' want to get into any arguments over something like this. We have bigger things to be concerned with.

Okay, BYC, we caught a skunk. What do I do now?

I’d just leave it in the trap and move one county over ;)

If this skunk was a problem or you just don’t want skunks around, put it down... if it was an incidental catch ( which is more likely ) and you don’t mind a skunk around, you could carefully throw a blanket over the trap and then more carefully open the trap and turn it out...

If you search this forum or do a google search you’ll find more skunk info that describes handling a skunk in a trap in better detail.

Pro tip:
Fake a knee injury and make your husband do the skunk wrangling, if he gets sprayed lock the door and remember there are lots of fish in the sea :lau

Uh Oh. You really need to have a talk with the Hubby about getting that rifle :D

Humm. Well, if we shoot from far enough away not to get sprayed, the odds of either of us hitting it are pretty slim. We don't want to use the poor thing for target practice. And if we shoot it close up, we have the other problem, it's close enough to shoot back, even as it expires. I will just say it's taken care of and that's all I have to say on the matter. Thanks y'all for your help. I do plan on getting myself a critter gitter for less volatile varmints.

Back
Top Bottom