What predators attack during the day?

Quote:
I doubt anyone could catch them during the day, I have a hard enough time catching them at night, they are pretty wild.

@1newchickontheblock: I don't think we have fisher cats here, though it wouldn't surprise me. Supposedly we don't have mountain lions or bald eagles here either, but I guess those animals didn't get that memo.
tongue.png

Quote:
I doubt anyone could catch them during the day, I have a hard enough time catching them at night, they are pretty wild.

@1newchickontheblock: I don't think we have fisher cats here, though it wouldn't surprise me. Supposedly we don't have mountain lions or bald eagles here either, but I guess those animals didn't get that memo.
tongue.png

It is probably not a fisher but a couple were caught in southern Pa. last trapping season.

I think the shorter list would be "what animals do not attack during the day" I am guessing that would be an owl. I have never seen or heard of one taking chickens during the day but wouldn't doubt that they do. I think all predators can and will attack at anytime...day or night. Some just prefer night time attacks more so than a daytime raid.

Good luck, I hope you find and elimanate your villian. Walking to the coop for a nice visit with your birds and finding out that there has been an attack is a very sick feeling.

Coyotes will kill chickens during the day!
One time I was outside feeding ( Right After Lunch mind you ) and I had just let my chickens out and I hear one of my roosters throwing a fit so I go and look in their run and there standing right in front of me are two huge coyotes!!! I start yelling and screaming at them and they just sit there staring at me! So I start throwing stuff at them and they finally retreat alittle ways and then stop and won't buge. So I ran back to the house as fast as I could and got the gun!

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Coyotes will kill chickens during the day!
One time I was outside feeding ( Right After Lunch mind you ) and I had just let my chickens out and I hear one of my roosters throwing a fit so I go and look in their run and there standing right in front of me are two huge coyotes!!! I start yelling and screaming at them and they just sit there staring at me! So I start throwing stuff at them and they finally retreat alittle ways and then stop and won't buge. So I ran back to the house as fast as I could and got the gun!

I highly doubt it's a coyote, we have 10 dogs, 3 of which are loose all the time. I would think that if a coyote came that close to the house, the dogs would be throwing a fit.​

My bet would be a fox. Since the birds are back in the woods or close to it one could grab one and be gone quick. Also to carry it away and not leave anything behind is a canine trait.

Take your dogs back into the woods and see if they get the scent of anything

Steve

Quote:
Just realize that owls are not limited to darkness; they can become active late afternoon/early evening, and remain so as late as early morning. I have seen plenty of owls from about 4pm on, and my owl attack was between 7 amd 8 am.

Back
Top Bottom