What price should bantam roos be sold for?

You can try to list him for $20. Maybe someone will take you upon it. If not lower the price.

Locally cockerels can't even be given away for free. Newly laying pullets go for $10 at best.

Someone already wants him, i just need to get a price down. I know he's eaten at least $16 of feed and he cost almost $4 when he was a day old. Also, cuz i live in CA everything costs waaaayy more. A pullet that is 2 months gets sold for between $15 and $25. I would like to make some profit off of him, since i have a trip in a bit and i need a little bit of extra money to cover souvenirs and whatnot without having to pull out of my savings for a car.

In my own experience, which, granted, is not that extensive as far as selling birds goes, unless your roo is a good, proven sire; shown and won; or a specific, popular breed; you'll be lucky to break even. If you can get $20 for him, go for it. Just be prepared to accept a counter offer. If pullets and layers go from $15-25, and I could get him a good home, I'd accept $10 - or counter to $15.
Good Luck!

Someone already wants him, i just need to get a price down. I know he's eaten at least $16 of feed and he cost almost $4 when he was a day old. Also, cuz i live in CA everything costs waaaayy more. A pullet that is 2 months gets sold for between $15 and $25. I would like to make some profit off of him, since i have a trip in a bit and i need a little bit of extra money to cover souvenirs and whatnot without having to pull out of my savings for a car.

First, I don't see anything about him that says "Bantam." He's gonna be too big!
Second, and more importantly, unless you have a proven show-quality line, selling cockerels is never a money making proposition. To command even a "fair market" price, a cockerel needs to be:
  • Purebred, but you don't even know what he is.
  • Show Quality - but again, of what breed?
  • NOT commercial hatchery bred - sounds like he might be.
  • A proven sire, but he's never been bred
  • A good protector/provider, but he hasn't had the chance, yet or
  • a good meal candidate (good meat bird.)
With all of that in mind, and adding that for a pullet like him would get you maybe $15, if you can get $10 for him, I'd take it and run, knowing that he had a good home. Personally, I'd sell them a pullet and throw in the little fellow for $5 ... or free.

If I expected to get a return on my investment on all of the food I've spent raising anything, I'd have sold my teenagers at 12!

Just get him into a good home and enjoy your trip!
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom