What quail breeds are best??

Chick dayz

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2018
I have had chickens (4 silkie hens) for a while now and decided I wanted more chicks but when I thought about it I thought, why get more chickens what about another type of bird... Then I read about quail and decided I wanted some but I have no idea what breeds to get!!! I kind of want button quail for more of a pet but I’ve never had any quail so what are your suggestions?!?!

Okay, so are you wanting your Willie hens to hatch them, or are you wanting to raise them yourself?

Quail chicks require a little more cautious care than baby chickens. They are very sensitive to heat, prone to drown, etc. — not to mention that they require a higher protein food as well.

If you are looking for a bird that will reproduce on its own (lay eggs, go broody, rear young), I advise against quail.

If you are looking for a bird that grows quickly and look unique, then quail are for you. I have raised quail for a few years, but only coturnix quail (the pharaoh variety). They make great meat and egg birds. Button quail on the other hand are very, and I mean very, small birds — but they do make fairly good pets.

I don’t know how much of a bird enthusiast you are, but if you’re looking for a bird that makes a great pet, I would get geese. They are very intelligent and usually bond with their owner if raised from a gosling — just an option.

Back
Top Bottom