What questions would you want answered?

Quote:
yeah well your grandparents and mine would roll their eyes...but guess what a suburban family in new york with 2 chickens aren't your grandparents and that is exactly the point...chickens to a lot of people are PETS and people don't kill their own pets it's not freaking rocket science to figure out that point. Most people don't eat their pets either.

Last edited:
Due to "chicken math" and the darn cute factor of baby chicks each spring, you could touch on the need to quarentine new birds before adding to their established flock. Also, firmly emphasize the pecking order in a flock and the need to watch for birds low in the order who may be harassed and pecked by others. I think it is important to know that chickens will draw blood and peck another to death. It's also important to know how to treat such injuries. Basic supplies and first-aid treatment for chickens should have prime importance and a hand-out sheet.

A hand-out info sheet on acceptable treats (as an addition to their regular feed) would be good.

One thing that I keep hearing here at BYC is that a bigger coop and run with lots of room for your flock is so much better than cramped quarters that lead to stress, featherpicking, pecking, etc. And you may need to point out the need for a reliable person to give daily care to the flock if you want to ever take a few days of vacation.

I read the first page and have skipped to the end.

I say give them the link to this website. This is where I came AFTER we brought home 29 chicks and I knew nothing. I have learned so much here and can find answers to all my question.

I say do the basics about having chickens. Then give them this link.

Quote:
True perhaps, but I would eat your pets....
wink.png

Quote:
True perhaps, but I would eat your pets....
wink.png

sn

hehe they aren't MY pets (DH might think of them as his pets...), my chickens are livestock...I love them but not enough to bat an eye at the thought of eating any of them..Then again I am not interested in just having a couple of chickens for the fun of it and the odd egg here and there.
If my girls don't give me eggs they get the ax.
smile.png

One thing I would have liked to have known before getting chickens is the importance of having a first aid kit that's solely for the chickens on hand in case of emergencies.

If you are dealing with city folk you need to make some points. Chickens are messy and mean to each other. They are not pets per se but livestock and do not give a hoot about what You want. They need feed all the time not like a dog or cat that gets fed once or twice a day. You do not have to worm them unless there are too many too a coop/pen. They can be very loud even the hens. They will escape their pen if they can. Most feed that is cheap does not have enough protien. Feed should be 18% or better for laying chickens.

Chickens are NOT cheep to keep. They cost money and lots of it for coop, feed, beeding, chicks ect. You will spend more in the chickens than the eggs you get out of them. You will Not make money on them. Very big point to make there. With the economy being bad people are looking for helpers. Chickens are not a way to help if you are short on cash. Feed is going up with gas prices. Egg prices are not. But if cash is not tight and you want to have fun and fresh food on the table then chickens are the way to go.

People show them and they are a good way for kids to learn about responcibilty and life. They are great if you can free range for they eat bugs and fertilize the yard. There bedding is great for a garden too. Fresh eggs can not be beat in flavor. You learn so many new recipes when you have chickens.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom