What questions would you want answered?

Just having gotten my first chickens, I have this question right now, which I'll post in a separate post too.

How to keep feed costs down. From what I read, you need to keep feed costs under 15 cents/lb to make chickens profitable. I need help knowing how to do that. Thanks.

Connie

Quote:
damn near impossible most people here don't have them for profit unless they have a very large flock.

Quote:
This to me is the big commercial place that has thousand of birds. I don't think a backyard keeper or small farmer could get those kind of numbers.

To the person that says chickens don't get worms YES they do, the eat the bugs and worms that carry these worms and can do get them here is a link that shows worms chickens get and how to treat. I know here and I live in farm country not even a farm vet will touch a chicken. If it needs Cull they will tell you what ways to use but they won't do it. Just the way things are. I am sure that some might have found vets that might help I don't think many vets know or understand about chickens.
http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

Quote:
damn near impossible most people here don't have them for profit unless they have a very large flock.

I agree unless you are talking large numbers then there really is no profit. Have a friend that raises chickens from chick to POL and then sells them. I think he might make a little profit but he has hundreds of chickens at once. He doesn't do small numbers. He also takes some to auction.

Back
Top Bottom