What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Do y'all think its ok for rabbits to stay together for a week while breeding?

really depends on the rabbits.. but i have had them stay together for a while with no problems and i have had a pair that after the 2nd day that poor doe was just terrified/scarred for life. she was breathing fast and hard and just scared and did not want to stay with the buck.

I don't trust mine to leave them alone. My first breeding went well for the buck to do his business twice before my doe turned nasty on him and I had to pull her out. That mating didn't produce any kits.

My 2nd mating was this past weekend with a different doe who seemed to be more receptive to the buck. However, I still was concerned about leaving them alone for any extended period of time. It was her first time. After he did his business several times, I removed the doe.

My buck was out running the back yard recently and went under the doe cages. The one that got nasty with him the first time was grunting and running around her cage any time he came near. I thought she was saying stay away. The other doe didn't seem to mind him at all so she became his next prospect. We shall see how things develop.
fl.gif

Do y'all think its ok for rabbits to stay together for a week while breeding?

really depends on the rabbits.. but i have had them stay together for a while with no problems and i have had a pair that after the 2nd day that poor doe was just terrified/scarred for life. she was breathing fast and hard and just scared and did not want to stay with the buck.

Or worse... Without supervision a doe can de-nut/castrate a buck very quickly.

Well a breeder told me to leave them together for a week. They've been together since Thursday and both pairs don't seem to be having any problems. All is going fine :)

Like so many things there are many ways to skin cat. ;-)
When I breed I grab a cup of coffee and head to the barn at sunrise. I put the doe in the buck's cage and I've never not had 3-4 fall offs before I finish my coffee. I separate and put the doe back in her cage (with kit saver wire of course), and 28 days later she gets a nesting box. 3 days after that she has kits. Without fail. They always get pregnant and always have kits. I don't bother with a second breeding the same day because the 8-11 kits produced by the morning breeding is an ideal number for me. Litters of 13-15 are just too hard on momma.
I think sometimes things are made more complicated but us humans who over think everything. LOL

well after breeding my rabbits what feels like 100 times and having no luck, i finally came to terms with the fact i am the only one that can't get a rabbit to breed! And then last night one of my does had a baby.. (she was due on Nov 28....) i think it was fairly large.. but it had a bite on it's neck and was dead. i brought her in because we are having a storm and she has only had one other one.. and ate off its head! i couldn't really tell.. because it's head was missing, but i think it was significantly smaller than the one from last night. She is an AmChin so usually has large breeds. it's been quite a while.. i wonder if she has any more..

I'm ready for spring! I'm breeding
1 Solid Black Mini Rex doe to my Tri Mini Rex buck( or maybe my castor...)
1 Castor Mini Rex doe to my MR Tort buck( her son) or maybe my MR Tri Buck...
1 Broken Black Otter Mini Rex to my MR Tri buck
1 mini Lop doe to my Dutch buck.

Then in may
1 Solid Black Mini Rex doe to my Tri MR buck
1 Castor MR doe to my Castor MR buck( also her son)
1 Broken black Otter MR doe to my MR Tri buck
1 Tort MR Doe to my MR Tort buck or my MR Tri buck
1mini Lop doe to my Tri MR buck

All does will be breed at the the same time. Due to the fact I have a few does who throw large litters, some small , a few new, 1 old and a few who are ok moms.
I'm breeding at these times because of fair and I might go to a few conventions.

A few of the may breeding might be post poned depending on how well they bounce back to show condition.
I might have a few winter ones, depending on if I keep any does and if I have cages. Lol

Back
Top Bottom