What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
I'm dealing with the same thing with my Holland Lop. This is the second time I've bred her and the first time wasn't successful. Today is 32 days for her and so far not looking so good. When I palpate her, she does feel plump and I can feel soft, oval masses. I'm not sure what to think about her......................

I have a question about diarrhea. A girl in my 4-H bought a bunny from a reputable breeder. The rabbit was fine, eating, drinking, good droppings. I interacted with the rabbit myself, everything seemed normal. Her mom emailed last night saying the bun had really bad diarrhea. This morning, she told us that the bunny died last night. Any ideas on what could have happened? They were very careful with the rabbit, not letting it eat any strange or get into anything bad. As for mine, my rabbits get diarrhea quite often, even when there's no changes in diet. They have clean water, lots of hay, and a good quality pellet. What can I do to calm their stomach?
About breeding..... What method are you using? Table breeding, cage, colony, repeat (and what are the times)? I'm asking because the method and timing can really make a difference. I recently tried my own method based on things I've learned over the years and so far this year the pregnancy rate is at 90%. I might be able to help if you like.

About the diarrhea....Diarrhea makes any rabbit breeder think of Coccidiosis but genetic, environment, and management can also play a big part in the health of a rabbit. They can send the rabbit into their local University extension office for a necropsy to find out what happened. But here online, I think more info would be needed before any guesses could be made. How old was the rabbit? How long did the girl have it before it died? Does the girl have other rabbits? What do they consider a normal/good food vs. strange/bad food? Genetics can play a part but so can environment and management.

For breeding, I use table breeding. I'll breed about 4 times, usually around a hour apart.
I'd love to learn your technique. I'm always open to new ideas.

The rabbit that died was 8 weeks old. I believe the girl had the rabbit for 2 weeks. This was her first and only rabbit. They only let the rabbit eat pellets and alfalfa. When the rabbit was outside, the monitored it closely to make sure it didn't eat anything else. They called the breeder and were informed that all the other rabbits in his litter were perfectly fine. I hope that helps a little.

Well, tomorrow is day 28 for my doe. I placed a more durable nestbox in her hutch today. Fingers crossed! If doesn't kindle the next few days I'll be taking a break with her!

No babies and she has already managed to turn the nestbox into a litter box.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom