What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Dutchbunny 83
I raise Californians for meat mix them with Flemish give them sweet goat food they get big fast My biggest buck was 25 lbs. He is old and can't breed any more but he eared his keep all of my rabbits are large meat rabbits. To pluck a chicken compared to butchering a rabbit
the rabbits is easier and gives more meat as for taste unless someone tells you the flavor is about the same . I really can't tell the difference. And rabbit liver is wonderful better then steak so tender.
I can the rabbit meat as you would Venison so many thing you can do with rabbit meat fry the legs barbecue you name it I eat it all kinds of ways. Yes people get upset with this subject but look at meat prices today can you buy hamburger steaks and chops for less then $1.00 a pound . With meat prices at their highest you can't go wrong. Get two does to breed with one buck you have meat for the rest of the year.. Just save the best ones the ones that puts on weight faster. I also grow lots of veggies If me and the rabbits can eat it then I grow it. we all eat the same veggies. I'm healthy and so are they . I know what my meat is eating . Rabbits are easy to raise.

Sorry if I offended any one but you do what you to in this world to survive.

We are raising for meat.
We have pet rabbits too, that will never be meat, they will one day die of old age. And my one pet bunny who used to run the yard, has joined the new meat rabbits haha. He used to sit at the edge of their pen & rub against your leg like a cat until you'd put him in with the other meat boys. Guess he liked them better than our other pet rabbit. He won't be food though, so hopefully he doesn't get too upset when others start disappearing....

I've never eaten rabbit. I hate the idea of eating them because they're so cute, but you do what you got to do. I don't kill any of the animals, my husband is stuck with that duty, But I refuse to let my children eat any meat that I don't grow myself (I mean there's occasions where they'll be at a party & eat pepperoni pizza or be on vacation where we have to eat out, but in general). My husband is active duty in the Army so we have the Commissary which is CHEAP for meat. Like half the price of the grocery store. And when we did buy store meat, in the grocery store I'd buy the stuff marked down to sell that day and stick it in the freezer or use right away. So the raising of our own meat is actually costing us significantly more than if we were to buy it at the store, but it is so important to do.

I saw the movie Food Inc a couple years ago & that changed everything for me. Those that haven't seen it, I think everyone should. It is really enlightening to just how our food gets to our table. I'm a city girl, I grew up without ever stepping on a farm, all my food came from the grocery store I had NO idea what was really going on, and the average American doesn't either. I'm not even going to get started on Monsanto and GMO foods and the horror that is this Factory Farming industry, but I do feel raising meat is a necessity so I'm with you there. It really sucks that an animal has to die. But that animal had a great life up until the end when it passes instantly, and in return for all the love and attention my children gave him, he is giving his life to give them nourishment. That's the only way I can look at it, and that's what I tell my kids.

Hey everyone! just thought I'd share some photos.
Also, I was wondering if both of my Hollands are considered broken torts?
My buck was supposed to be broken Opal.
My doe seems to have varying shades going on.

Yes, both of these rabbits are broken Torts. The rabbit in the picture below (not my pic) is a Tort; see how his color is darker in some areas than in others? If you imagine laying the broken pattern over it, you can understand how some Broken Torts can appear to be spotted with more than one color, and other Torts may seem all one color - it depends on where the colored areas are, and where the white.

I thought we lost the REW baby today. I did a head count, and only counted 5. Searched around for a little while, and found him in the front of the nest, cold. Warmed him up, and he's as good as new. Scary!

I thought we lost the REW baby today. I did a head count, and only counted 5. Searched around for a little while, and found him in the front of the nest, cold. Warmed him up, and he's as good as new. Scary!
I have had that happen so many times it scares me every time i search high and low for them when it happens most of the time i find them dead on the ground :(

Back
Top Bottom