What rooster breed should l get for hatching eggs?

tMaster16

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2021
Hi guys, so l have 2 hens and l had one rooster but it died. So my question is that what breed of rooster should l get for my hens depending on my hens' breed?
So here are the details of my hens:

White Hen
= Cochin or Brahma or a cross of the two.
Brown Hen = Cochin or cross of Brahma and Cochin. (Not pure Brahma because they have black feathers on their neck and tail).

As my previous rooster died, currently l have no rooster and want to get a new rooster. My hens have begun laying eggs and they need a rooster in order to hatch chicks and make the egg fertilized. So l need some ideas about what breed to get that so the chicks are a beautiful breed and fancy. My hens are already considered fancy birds because of their feathers on their feet so for that reason l want the chicks to be beautiful as well and that which will survive too.

My previous rooster was a game bird/mutt or a cross but the origins were not confirmed as l bought it from my local shop. I concluded that it may the result of cross between these breeds: Asil, Malay, Modern Game or Shamo. It died just before my white hen began laying eggs idk why but the fact that some roosters die after mating may be the case. So idk if l am wrong or not but l think that the eggs which my hen is producing now is because of my previous rooster and may affect the breed of the hatched chicks, if it won't then its alright and l won't have to worry about my previous rooster.

Please inform about which breed to get for my hens in order to hatch chicks. I have also attached a few pictures of my hens so you can have a better idea. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 06.41.27.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 06.41.27.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 24
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 06.41.51.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 06.41.51.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 15
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 06.41.56.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 06.41.56.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 17
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 06.42.05.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 06.42.05.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 17
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 06.42.16.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 06.42.16.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 16
They look like mixes, either cochin mixed or maybe something like a Marans mix? Cochins I think are a little more common. Seeing as they're a mix breed you can kinda just choose whatever rooster you want. The chicks won't be purebred anything just cute backyard mixes

I love Cochins and so I'd recommend one of those, but if you see something else you like, I see no harm in breeding the ladies you like to a rooster you like to get cute mixed breed chicks <3

I would however keep an eye on the ladies to make sure they don't get overbred, 2 hens to 1 rooster may not be a big enough ratio for some roos

They look like mixes, either cochin mixed or maybe something like a Marans mix? Cochins I think are a little more common. Seeing as they're a mix breed you can kinda just choose whatever rooster you want. The chicks won't be purebred anything just cute backyard mixes

I love Cochins and so I'd recommend one of those, but if you see something else you like, I see no harm in breeding the ladies you like to a rooster you like to get cute mixed breed chicks <3

I would however keep an eye on the ladies to make sure they don't get overbred, 2 hens to 1 rooster may not be a big enough ratio for some roos
Thanks for your comment. I was thinking of buying a Cochin or a Brahma rooster as well and would love to have chicks of any breed. My mother is excited for the chicks to be same as their mother tho. Also l know that the rooster to hen ratio is 1:5 but l can't handle that many birds and don't have the place either. Thankful for the comment. 🙂

I have a barred rock EE. He's super sweet and my hens love him. I have eggs in the incubator that are his. So far the eggs are doing great.

I have a barred rock EE. He's super sweet and my hens love him. I have eggs in the incubator that are his. So far the eggs are doing great.
I see, another person also suggested me the barred rock ee breed, idk if you are the same person or not lol. Thanks for the comment. 🙂

Your hens are lovely! Are they bantam?
I love bantam Cochins, and bantam Cochin Brahma mixes, this is Bootsie!
He is Standard size Buff Brahma rooster, over a red bantam cochin hen.
3745754F-FE29-4AAC-81AE-83003745E240.jpeg

I find that anything mixed with Brahma will be beautiful, so that would be a nice rooster to breed with!

What colors are you hoping for? That might help in your search!
What about a Speckled Sussex rooster? I love the sussexes!

Back
Top Bottom