What sex are my 5 months old muscovy ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by muzzy, Jan 19, 2014.

1. muzzy

muzzy New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

Both birds are the same age but one seems to have got its red features alot quicker. What sex are they please.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Fleshing can vary and while drakes usually have more than females that is not a guaranteed definer of sex. Size usually is... drakes are big, big feet, legs, chest, overall.. here below.. drake to the right, duck to the left.. same age!

[​IMG]

3. muzzy

muzzy New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    How old are the ones that you posted please? The ones I put up are 5 months and are all the same size.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    At that time they were 5mths lol It's an old pic but one that shows the differences well. I personally think, and i while i dislike giving guesses based on pics(because perspectives are off) lean towards those being ducks(females)

To give an example.. here is a young drake from last year... i cannot recall his exact age now in that shot, but he was hatched last March and i sold him before fall... they(at least mine) are BIG birds when drakes and that size comes on fast... 4/5mths and are distinctively males...

[​IMG]

Here is Mabel and her brother these guys were hatched in June. I think you can tell who is who... shaping, even the head shape ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  5. OleMissChic

OleMissChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Oxford, Mississippi
    Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd post here and see if anyone can tell me the sex of my new Muscovy's. I don't know their ages but they are the same size. Any thoughts on age/gender?

[​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks like 2 beautiful females to me. Congrats!! the one in the back brown/white is older maybe mama to the other.

7. OleMissChic

OleMissChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Oxford, Mississippi
    Oh thank you so much! That's great news! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by