What sex is he/she? How do you tell the sex of a Silkie?? Pics

You have a nice boy there, 100% sure.

Here are some things on which I am basing my opinion:

The crest has uneven feathers (not a nice perfectly rounded pom-pom). Although he does not have streamers in the crest yet, he will have them as he matures. He has nice hackle feathers coming in along the neck. The tail and wings have some hard feathers. Some tail feathers have the downward curve of roosters. The comb is wide from side to side. The legs are too long for a hen, actually they look a bit long for the breed (I cannot see the quality of his feet, but his longer legs are the only thing about this guy that I do not care for).

Quote:
Blue earlobes are a trait of silkies roo or hen.

Thanks!!! Learning new stuff everyday!!

Wow, I really thought he was a she.
But that's cool, at least Lyle can hold his head up when I call him by name. I thought if he were a she, she was going to have the "Boy named Sue" complex in reverse.
He is also very submissive with the girls, they run him off the treats so I have to put some off to the side for him.

THANKS a ton, this is all very helpful information!

Yup, roo... looks a lot like mine
smile.png
Mine was very laid back until about 3 weeks ago. Now he thinks he's hot stuff and is thinking of making a play for head roo
tongue.png
They're just REAL slow at growing into their egos
wink.png

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif
Mine does the rooster shuffle all the time. It is hilarious. He is not the top rooster but he's always trying.
gig.gif

The bird in the OP is a cockerel, no doubt. You can see the streamers coming from the crest, as well as the size of the comb and wattles. Also, the hackle and tail feathers differ in males and females, and the stances of the two genders are different (with the males being generally more upright).

Do not sex based on the color of the earlobes, silkies should have bright turquoise earlobes in both sexes, not one or the other...it is considered a defect to not have the turquoise earlobes.

The bird looks to be around 4-6 months old and will start behaving like a boy very soon
smile.png

Hi Julie,
Thanks for response (and to everyone else). But, I have no idea what you mean by the streamers....please help! And, do you consider his earlobes turquois or are his incorrect?
he.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom