what should feathering out Cochins and frizzles look like? what should they not look like? pics?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Thejperez, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Thejperez

Thejperez Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Florida
    I got a Cochin and a frizzle today. They are probably about a month old and are looking quite bare but still have fluff and some wing feathers. I dont have pictures yet and I can't take any. what's the worst they can look like without being in need of some kind of help?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Here are a couple of frizzled Cochins I used to have. I'm pretty sure they're more than a month old, but as you can see, they're still quite bare in some places:
    [​IMG]
    After another couple of weeks, the blue partridge pullet had feathered in nicely. The black cockerel, not so much. He was still sporting a bare patch on his chest and a not-so-impressive tail:
    [​IMG]
    Here are some smooths, still older than a month I believe, but still looking pretty ragged:
    [​IMG]
    These are all standard size Cochins, but my bantams tend to follow the same path. They're a slow maturing breed, so it takes them a while to finish out when it comes to feathering and growing up. If yours look especially bad, you might want to check them over for external parasites or make sure they aren't feather picking for whatever reason (lack of space, not enough protein, ect).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by