What should I ask for this fella?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Riocotesei, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    I have a 8 month old RIR roo and, I don't like how rough he is with the ladys. So... I want to sell him. What should I ask for him?
    [​IMG]

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    5-10 dollars? maybe 15-20

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Like... $15

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Maybe things are different where you live but here, I am always happy when I can find a good home for one of my extra roos....free.

5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    yeah, we used to (I would never do this now with my babies:) sneak up on other peoples farms in the middle of the night and leave them a rooster present to wake up to. hahahhaahah

We hatched like 70% roos when I was growing up.

6. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    I don't have the money to just give them away. [​IMG] $15 is what I was guessing. Thanks for the replies.
    Of the 7 Leghorns I just hatched I can tell 4 of them are roo's [​IMG] I'll probably grow them out and sell or trade 'em.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  7. DTchickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:selling is great... then you get money for feed. and supplies etc. for your other chickens. you can give them away if thats what floats your boat.. but i myself Sell the ones i dont use (plus.. my chickens are show chickens. if i was to give one away with the bloodline i have.. i'd be giving away 100-200+ dollar chickens [​IMG] ) so i usually sell for about 50-100

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i ended up having to give my 2 roos for free. I was asking $5, held out a few weeks hoping to get something for them till someone fought with the dominate roo and injured him then they had to go.

9. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I've been to a couple of poultry/small animal livestocks. If someone is looking for new blood for breeding, and it is a common breed like a RIR, and they are interested in the particular breed you have for sale you might get $10.

I've seen chickens that have won a prize at the fair sell for $30, so DT Chickens must be one heck of a salesperson.

10. DTchickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:i sell/buy from and to WELL respected people in OEGBS.. OEGB pairs (That are show qaulity) go 50+ dollars

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by