What should I do with this goose

goosebump

Hatching
Dec 30, 2015
I spotted a badly injured canada goose in a local park last night. His one wing was badly broken, bleeding and a piece of cracked bone fell on the ground. He looked painful and laying on the ground didn't move much. This morning he is still alive, but with a shaky head. The wildlife rehabilitator here doesn't care about goose at all. They only either help end lives or leave them to nature. It's getting cold here. Even no snow but the water is icy cold. I really want to help but the park said the goose belongs to the state park and should go no where else. What should I do...

Take the goose and take care of it inside first off all.
The park won't notice a goose gone as it's wild.
Look at it this way if you leave the goose it will die 100% but if you bring the goose in and look after it it has a chance.
It's harsh the way I said it but that's what's going to happen.
Once you bring the goose inside then we'll start to help you more specifically of what you have to do next ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for your advise. You are great people with those ideas. The goose is put right in front of the office and there are patrolling officers all the time. Oh god I wish I have the courage to steal him. He is hiding underneath a huge spruce now. The lower brunches touch the ground and form a big dense canopy covering him. I also brought some hay to stuff the opening area and keep warm. Probably predators won't get him. There are grasses grains and water around . If I were a US citizen or this is in my own country I probably don't give a D about the rules and would have caught him. If I spot him near my house I would have caught him too. I don't know if there is any rehabilitator nearby who really cares and would take in any bird no matter how. If I can find one I can drive whole day to transport him. I'm on the border of east Indiana and west OH. I know the goose is in VERY bad shape and probably won't be saved, but I simply cannot let my hope go without an expert check it out. This is so frustrating and sad since the goose is injured right outside the rehabilitation center where people said the only thing they can do is to put him down.

The most caring and humane thing to do for this goose is to report it to the people who CAN and will put him down. He will have no quality of life if he lives at all and he is currently suffering. Think about the bird and not about how it makes you feel to see it hurt...its whole natural life revolves around being able to fly. Right now it's certain that it will never fly again, it is in pain and shock and it's vulnerable to further attack. It needs a quick and humane death and it needs it NOW.

Thanks for your reply too. You are very right that I should think about the bird instead of my own feeling. I don't know what the bird wants though. If a person loses his legs he may still want to have the rest life. It's like when my grandpa was at his last life moment none of his children wants to let it go. We struggled 2 months and saw he gradually couldn't stand the treatment anymore so finally we let him go. Sometimes people just do things following their heart without knowing clearly what they should be doing. Nevertheless, probably it's right to put him down since it's unlikely to get help.

He should be put down, a wild animal is a wild animal and the only way he could have a quality life with a broken wing would be with a professional wildlife rehabilitator.

Thanks for your reply too. You are very right that I should think about the bird instead of my own feeling. I don't know what the bird wants though. If a person loses his legs he may still want to have the rest life. It's like when my grandpa was at his last life moment none of his children wants to let it go. We struggled 2 months and saw he gradually couldn't stand the treatment anymore so finally we let him go. Sometimes people just do things following their heart without knowing clearly what they should be doing. Nevertheless, probably it's right to put him down since it's unlikely to get help.
Contact Carolina Waterfowl Rescue they may know of someone in your area that will take the goose and at least try to help and if there isn't help for it at this point humanely put it down. @goosebump

Last edited:
A goose without one wing may not fly and I know it's wild and that it's it only defence but a goose with one wing can still swim and will always stay on that lake or river so you can see it every day ;)
It might be more open to predators but you can be proud you helped him every time you see him.
Reason I'm saying this is because there is a greylag(another wild breed)gander with one wing in a lake near me and a vet helped him for whatever happened to that wing and him and two others stay with eachother over the winter.
But if his broken wing is badly infected or in a very bad state he is best to be put down but look at the information Miss Lydia gave you first!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom