What should i do?

Nathaliexx

Songster
5 Years
Oct 7, 2018
The Netherlands
Hi everyone,

As some of you may know, i have a broody hen at the moment.
She had 5 eggs and two of them hatched the other day.
Yesterday i candled the 3 eggs to see how they were doing: they seemed fine, and i hope they will hatch soon..

My question is, broody has been on her nest for about 3 weeks now, and although she takes care of her two babies, i was thinking of moving her 3 eggs to the incubator.
Just so mom can spend even more time with the 2.
Or should i let it be and wait for the 3 to hatch?
Thanks for your reply in advance,
Nathalie

Broodies will usually only wait so long for the rest of the eggs to hatch. Newly hatched chicks can live off of the yolk sac they absorbed for up to 3 days though so I wouldn't worry too much about the early hatchers but maybe have your incubator on standby just in case she does leave the nest before the others hatch. :) Good luck!

Broodies will usually only wait so long for the rest of the eggs to hatch. Newly hatched chicks can live off of the yolk sac they absorbed for up to 3 days though so I wouldn't worry too much about the early hatchers but maybe have your incubator on standby just in case she does leave the nest before the others hatch. :) Good luck!
Yes i know, i’m like maybe she wants to go out for a walk with her 2 chicks. I know they’re alright, they eat and drink with mom, but i just thought they would want to walk around (now they’re still in the little coop).
I turned on the incubator, just in case..
Thank you so much for your feedback!
:)

Sometimes after some of the eggs have hatched the broody will abandon the rest of the eggs. You will have to watch her.
I keep an eye on her, thanks!
3C223BC5-7D1E-4047-BB17-73ADF4BC7B59.png
71E982E2-C6D8-4AB2-9E4B-9D57A1BADF11.png

Also be willing to accept the task of raising them yourself once you take the eggs away and hatch them. Mother chickens will frequently attack and drive off chicks that they don't see as their own. If you hatch them, you may not be able to return the chicks to her.

Also be willing to accept the task of raising them yourself once you take the eggs away and hatch them. Mother chickens will frequently attack and drive off chicks that they don't see as their own. If you hatch them, you may not be able to return the chicks to her.
Hi @Sea Wolf,
Thanks for your reply, yes i thought of that..i do have 5 more little ones (3 weeks) inside the house, and i was about to ask if mom would accept them if they would hatch in the incubator.
I guess i’m gonna wait for one or two more days (two of the three look ready, one looks a little smaller, maybe that one was laid a few days later?)

Back
Top Bottom