1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what should i do

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pefferlawchicken, Oct 3, 2009.

1. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    ok , im very upset and confussed , last hatch i did worked great and im doing everything the sam as last time but they are dying , i think its day 20 but it may be day 21 and yet 2 out of three eggs have died. Their is one egg left and he has been in the same postion for the last few days and all i can see is either a small heart beat or somthing like the beack or food moving back and forth slightly. i dont want to loose this one , what should i do

temp is about 99 f in a forced air bator
    humidity is at aboyt 55- 58 % now

2. pefferlawchicken

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    bummppp

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I wish I knew what to tell you. Your humidity is a bit low, but I don't know if that accounts for the trouble you're having. I really don't know how to help you. I wish I did!

4. pefferlawchicken

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    im so upset , i want to crack it open to make sure the little one has a chance but on the other hand he might hatch on his own [​IMG]

5. Kojack

Kojack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Independence
    I haven't a clue. But I thought I would at least let you know someone read your question.[​IMG]

6. pefferlawchicken

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    k so what i have done is chicpped a little pea sized hole in the top of the egg , the chick is alive and moving it looks like he is still obsorbing the blood and yolk, so i dabbed some warm water on the mebrain and covered the hole with a moist paper towl and but him back in the bator , was this the right thing to do after chipping the hole

7. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Sounds good to me. Good to hear he's still moving in there. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the little guy.

8. pefferlawchicken

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    yea me too , my finges are double crossed i just hope putting the wet paper towl over him is the right move

9. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I wouldn't *leave* the paper towel. Get your humidity up high in the incubator, dampen the membrane, then put him in and leave him alone for a few hours. If he makes progress, continue to leave him be. If he doesn't or if he seems to be weakening, then gradually help him a bit more and a bit more, just that little pea-sized help each time. And each time, dampen the membrane, then place him back in a nice humid bator.

10. pefferlawchicken

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    ok , im just wondering , should the membrain be like a whitish colour or clear?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by