What should I feed my mixed flock of ducks and chickens?

Swirls76

Songster
6 Years
May 31, 2017
Hello all!

I am receiving mixed messages about what to feed my flock of chickens and ducks. Some say regular layer feed will work and others are saying that a mixed flock is best. However, the mixed flock I am finding has 20% protein. Are ducks allowed to have that much protein? My ducks are old enough and laying now along with my chickens.

Please help!

Yes, ducks can have that much protein, but not the amount of calcium that is in layer feed. I feed Purina flock raiser to my ducks and chickens, because it is a product formulated for waterfowl and chickens. I love Purina, you know for sure that is have enough niacin for the ducks, which most chicken feeds don't. Then you just have to offer Oyster shell on the side for the chickens.

Yes, ducks can have that much protein, but not the amount of calcium that is in layer feed. I feed Purina flock raiser to my ducks and chickens, because it is a product formulated for waterfowl and chickens. I love Purina, you know for sure that is have enough niacin for the ducks, which most chicken feeds don't. Then you just have to offer Oyster shell on the side for the chickens.
I purchased Nature Wise All Flock from Tracker Supply. Will this work?

Attachments

• Image 1.jpeg
    Image 1.jpeg
    471.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Image 2.jpeg
    Image 2.jpeg
    593.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Image 3.jpeg
    Image 3.jpeg
    587.6 KB · Views: 29
Thank you for the information. After reading your article, you are suggesting that I buy two different types of feed? My hens eat everything, so they are going to eat the formulated duck feed. There has to be a better solution.
I mean. Sometimes you can find Duck and chicken food that they can both eat. You’ll have to ask your local feed store if they have it and if both ducks AND chickens can have it. It’s rare around my house witch is dumb

I mean. Sometimes you can find Duck and chicken food that they can both eat. You’ll have to ask your local feed store if they have it and if both ducks AND chickens can have it
Thank you! Tractor Supply has an All Flock Raiser. They have a few brands that vary in protein and such. I was just wondering what would be best.

I’ve got a mixed species and mixed gender and age flock. I don’t buy multiple types of feed except when I need a starter for new ducklings or chicks, and they get transitioned onto the feed that I give to everyone before they get mixed into the flock. Since I have drakes and cockerels, I feed a grower/finisher that’s got 16% protein, and top up molting birds, layers, or younger growing chicks with extra protein treats. I haven’t had a single issue with any of them with this; I make sure the actively laying birds have access to calcium, and top dress the ducks’ feed periodically with some extra niacin, but it works fine and I don’t have to worry about damage to the boys. :) and it’s much easier to feed the same to everyone than trying to keep separate foods without separating the birds into those groups. Ideally if I had the means to set it up so that every group had a feed tailored specifically to them, that would be great, but my setup isn’t ideal so it is what it is. Lol. :)

I know there are many on here that feed an all-flock or multi flock type feed. In my area these types of specific feed aren’t available so I use what I can get and add extras for whoever needs it. :)

The Nutrena that you bought should be fine. It’s similar to the grower that I use, just a bit more protein. Which is probably close to what my birds wind up getting with the extras anyways. :)

Back
Top Bottom