What should i Get???

For a biginner I like plymouth barred rock-which is really your all around chicken-good layers and they tend not to go broody as much-they are very hardy bird too. Buff orpingtons are another good bird-sort of the golden retriever of the poultry world-but have a tendency to go broody often-they are great mothers though. I like Australorps too. I hear cuckoo marans lay dark brown eggs. I personally am a fan of bantams especially the mille fleur-they are a hardy little bird, good little layers and good broodies to. I know they can even brood and raise standards too. I love their big bird attitude, they just give a flock personality and fun!

thanks so much for all the great info and personal insight on the breeds, now i just need to figure out where to get them from.!!!!!

i think im gona try to go with one of the color egg layers and probably one delaware, one jersey, and one rir.

does that sound like a good mix up?????!!!!

now if anyone can point me in a direction to get them????

If you get cold winters or even if you don't , I've been told Buff Orpington, Barred Rock and Wyandottes are the best "steady eddie" eggers...heavier bodies, heavier featherd and reliable year round layers.

Good luck!
wink.png

I would totally suggest Buff Orpingtons if you are looking for a friendly bird. BOs are also very consistent layers. Rhode Island Reds are very good layers probably one of the top laying breeds, although they are not as friendly. You could also be safe with Silver Laced Wyandottes because even though they are not as friendly as the Buffs they are still friendly and very good layers. I also know that the BOs and the SLWs would make great mothers.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!!!!

Back
Top Bottom