what should I try next? (sick chicks)

slackwater

Songster
9 Years
Feb 1, 2010
SoMD
So, much to my dismay, I keep losing chicks. Some days are good, and I don't lose any - yesterday I lost two that were not necessarily my worst off. All chicks are 2-3 weeks old. They are generally unthrifty (fluffed up), but are eating & drinking well. They appear to be active (sparring, alert) in between periods of resting (fluffed up). No discharge from their eyes, mouth or nostrils, no crackling breathing, no bloody poos. I have a heat lamp with plenty of room for them to escape if they get too hot. I have tried vitamins & electrolytes in the water (for 3-4 days), and polyvisol by mouth to the ones who appear to be the worst (who are not the ones that are dying). Yesterday I switched to Sulmet. Tonight I am going to TSC to get an antibiotic. But I don't know what else to try! Am I doing the right things? I hate to keep losing them when I can't figure out what's wrong, so I'm shooting in the dark to try to fix it
sad.png

Oh, and there is not a vet around here that will treat poultry, so...it's up to me to diagnose
sad.png

sorry for your loss i lost one chick last weekend to coooidiosis, she was fluffed up she was six weeks, had only had her a week, all the signs were there she was constantly peeping, huddling, & flufffed up i just thought at the time she was missing the other chicks as when i bought her she was in a pen with about 30 chicks, but looked on the internet, i bought something called coxoid off the internet, you just put 5 ml in 2 pints of water, ive got 4 chicks their all being treated with it, and two 10 mth hens rather be safe than sorry, had to wait till tuesday for it to come, started them on it on tuesday this is 3rd day and all seems well, good luck

Change feeds. Sometimes there's a bad batch and it takes a while for a recall; sometimes a particular bag gets mouldy and you can't see it.

FWIW, in case anyone comes across this thread later and wonders what happened - I went to the store, got new (medicated) feed, duramycin and tylan. I dosed the birds with all of that plus poly vi sol for 3 more days, and then stayed with the duramycin for another 4 days (7 total). All but one recovered! 40 chicks saved!

Back
Top Bottom