What should I use for my perch

maxmcl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
My chickens never roost on their perch. They always sleep in there nesting box. Right now we are using a thick branch off a gum tree but they don't seem to like it. If you know why please tell and the best perch.

Do they use the perch at all during the day? Are you sure they can reach the roost either with a ramp or by flapping their wings to get up there? If you birds are young they may not be sleeping on the roosts yet because of their age. If your birds are older they may not be able to reach the roost or them may simply prefer the nest box. (Birds are weird sometimes)

My chickens never roost on their perch. They always sleep in there nesting box. Right now we are using a thick branch off a gum tree but they don't seem to like it. If you know why please tell and the best perch.
A picture would be helpful to see your set-up. Is your roost bar higher than the nest boxes? How do the birds access the bar?

Do they use the perch at all during the day? Are you sure they can reach the roost either with a ramp or by flapping their wings to get up there? If you birds are young they may not be sleeping on the roosts yet because of their age. If your birds are older they may not be able to reach the roost or them may simply prefer the nest box. (Birds are weird sometimes)

Yes they sometimes use the perch during the day.They can reach it is only 45 cm of the ground and the nesting box is about 1m25cm. We have 5 chooks three are red shaver crossed with light sussex. They are 14 mouths old. We have a black frizzle. S he is about 2 years old. The last chook we have is a dorking that is about 24 mounths old.

I hope this helps.

Many people, myself included, use the wide side of a 2x4 for roosts. The way chickens feet are made it's easier for them to relax and sleep on a wider, flat roost then having to grip on to a round or uneven roost all night long.

Yes they sometimes use the perch during the day.They can reach it is only 45 cm of the ground and the nesting box is about 1m25cm. We have 5 chooks three are red shaver crossed with light sussex. They are 14 mouths old. We have a black frizzle. S he is about 2 years old. The last chook we have is a dorking that is about 24 mounths old.

I hope this helps.
There's your problem. Your next box is higher than the roosts (Perch). The roost bars HAVE to be higher than the nestboxes. Chickens want to roost at the highest point. Lower the nestboxes, or raise the roost bars.
Jack

Back
Top Bottom