What should my hen and chick eat?

I just had a hen hatch a chick and was wondering what the chick and hen are supposed to eat. The hen is eating grower at the moment, but what will she have to start eating when the chick starts eating?

Personally unless the grower is crumble and at least 18% protein, I would provide Chick Starter for them both.
The hen will be fine eating the Chick Starter. I would think the chick should be eating now if it hatched within a day or so.
What %protein is the grower? (do you have a photo of the bag or label) If it's in pellet form, crush it up fairly fine so the chick can manage the pieces. Provide water as well - that hen is going to try to get the chick to eat/drink pretty quick unless she's still sitting on egg waiting for them to hatch.

What breed? Do you have photos?

They both can eat starter just fine. If they are allowed to free range, momma will show chick grit (or you can provide grit) and the chick will eat everything momma eats. Momma will get whatever it is into manageable size.

Don’t give them layer. Calcium isn’tgood till they are laying.

Personally unless the grower is crumble and at least 18% protein, I would provide Chick Starter for them both.
The hen will be fine eating the Chick Starter. I would think the chick should be eating now if it hatched within a day or so.
What %protein is the grower? (do you have a photo of the bag or label) If it's in pellet form, crush it up fairly fine so the chick can manage the pieces. Provide water as well - that hen is going to try to get the chick to eat/drink pretty quick unless she's still sitting on egg waiting for them to hatch.

What breed? Do you have photos?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Don’t know which hen this chick came from but the dad is a cochin

She is sitting on one more egg and it’s internally pipped

They both can eat starter just fine. If they are allowed to free range, momma will show chick grit (or you can provide grit) and the chick will eat everything momma eats. Momma will get whatever it is into manageable size.

Don’t give them layer. Calcium isn’tgood till they are laying.
At the moment we only ave medicated starter will that work?

At the moment we only ave medicated starter will that work?
Ideally non medicated starter is what I’d use. Mine were raised on starter/grower from Dumor

Your grower won’t hurt anything until you get starter. My broody will crunch up bigger pieces to correct size. I’d definitely let them free range or provide chick grit.

Ideally non medicated starter is what I’d use. Mine were raised on starter/grower from Dumor

Your grower won’t hurt anything until you get starter. My broody will crunch up bigger pieces to correct size. I’d definitely let them free range or provide chick grit.
[/QUOTE/]
I’ll keep them on grower till I get none medicated chick starter, but the going outside won’t be happening. There’s a few centimetres of snow on the ground😬

Lol. Shovel of gravel off a road shoulder should give them plenty to chose from. Just make sure you snag lots of fine rocks and dirt with it. (My chickens roam my gravel driveway eating rocks every day. It’s also one of the first places my broody takes her chicks too)

Back
Top Bottom