What should we do about this.....day 18 on different days?

krv

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
Hi,
We have 16 eggs on day 18 incubation today. We also have 6 eggs on day 17 today and 6 eggs on day 16 today. It is just 2 days difference from the first ones to the last ones, but will it hurt the latter 12 if we bring the humidity up to about 65%-70%? What should we do? I read somewhere that we should get the humidity above 55% on day 18-21. Is this correct? Help, quick!

krv

Humidity—The moisture level in the incubator should be about 50 to 55 percent relative humidity, with an increase to about 65 percent for the last 3 days of incubation. Moisture is provided by a pan of water under the egg tray. The water surface should be at least half as large as the surface of the egg tray. Add warm water to the pan as necessary. If more humidity is needed, increase the size of the pan or add a wet sponge. Humidity adjustment can also be made by increasing or decreasing ventilation. Cut and pasted from UNM...

There is a lot of good technical info on the web from good sources. I would read these first and hold what you're told here to a lesser degree. Usually, one of your major agricultural universities will have trusted info.

Not to say there is not good info here... You just have to judge the source. Just because they've been on byc for a while, doesn't make them experts. Including me!
tongue.png
That's all.

GL

Last edited:
What I am wondering is will increasing the humidity to the right percent hurt the other 12 that aren't on day 18 today?

6 of those 12 will be on day 18 tomorrow (Saturday) and the last 6 will be on day 18 on Sunday. Will a 55%-65% humidity hurt the eggs with chicks on day 16 and day 17 of incubation? Will they drown? Please help!

krv

I've staggered hatches with all sorts of spreads in between the 18th day. I prefer not to stagger in the same bator. I personally would not worry too much. Some people dry hatch their eggs. You just don't want your eggs to be off too much, too long. Whatever that is? I believe it depends on many factors, including weather, altitude, temp/RH in your home, etc. You have to figure out what works in your particular environment. The only way to do this is to hatch and adjust until you find firm ground.

If eggs don't hatch, it's not always your fault. Right? But, if you have half your bator not hatch... You might want to adjust something.

Let's just hope you don't have $50 a doz in the bator while you're figuring it out!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the humidity but if you have an auto turner and there is any chance that you little chicks might get under it. You should shut the auto turner off and hand turn them

Krv you'll be fine. I would just get those babes to a brooder and the bator back to norm, asap. Or get a second bator and you can make that your 18-21 bator. Just a thought...

Don't mean to ramble on! Incubating has just been an informational nightmare for me. I finally had to figure it out for myself. And stop taking in all the confusing data.

GL

Back
Top Bottom