What size brooder?

Hi, I was wondering what do you all use for a heat source in your brooders? I have 8 week old RIRs and was thinking of getting a few chicks of other breeds to add variety.

I like your setup, BigWRanch. Looks like something I can afford (since I already have the light fixtures, LOL). I'm wondering what kind of plastic bins those are, or what I can find similar?

We're planning to get 25 heavy breed layers, so I could start off with one that size but might need 2 before it's over with. Though it will get warm here soon, so we'll have to see.

What I'm wondering, since heat lamps were mentioned, and this may be a silly question but ...

I've thought what if it goes out. Then I saw advice to put in 2, for just that reason. But ... wouldn't you have to put them really close together, so the chicks can get away from them if need be? And wouldn't that make it TOO hot? Or I guess you just raise them higher in that case?

Anyone use 2 in a brooder that size? Am I asking silly questions? LOL

Thanks everyone for all the good advice I read here. Not always time to reply, but I appreciate answers to me and answers to everyone else. I'm learning SO much!
smile.png

My daughter created a name too ... she likes the board a LOT and wanted to join. She has a list of questions to post. I just have to direct her to the appropriate categories.

Hi So-cal,
We have used a couple of different heat sources. We have the red heat lamp but it's 250 watts. "really hot" That thing melts plastic and cooks wood, and of course bakes little chicks. unless you can keep it raised high enough to be safe..
In the last few days we have gotten some Sultan chicks and Porcelin D Uccle chicks.Since we couldn't find a red heat lamp under 250W we decided to try something else that we had seen on the forum.
We got what is called a ceramic infrared heat emmitter . We picked them up from the pet store. 150W and 100W.
They do not light. They just put out heat and they work great. We have other regular lighting soures.

They're a little pricey but are supposed to last up to 5 years or 25,000 hours.

Anyway, I thought I'd give you another option.

Good Luck,

BigR

We also have a wide brooder so we put 2 of them over it. I'm going to plug in a little nightlite in the same electrical circuit so if the breaker goes I will know it.

BigR

The Plastic bins are made for apple cider. My Dad got them from the Tree Top juice factory, because he knows them. I don't know what you would be able to find there. I use two lamps in the middle.

Thanks! You've still given me some great ideas, even if I don't find something comparable.

Even just the box with everything inside set up that way (and covered with a big wire cage to keep the cat out, LOL ...

But I can disassemble the cage and use it to fence in my garden later.

Thanks!

I have a swimming pool I plan on using for my brooder. I dont think it will be warm enough to get them outside for about 7-8 weeks. Will they still all fit into the pool by this time? I dont have a place inside to let them run around like you did in your mudroom. Will this work?

so granted its the wrong time of year, but if your starting off in warmer weather, any reason why you just cant keep them in the regular coop?

Nice BigW. Must say a HUGE well done for the creativity and effectiveness of this design. I built mine out of some old lumber I had in the shop. Which is good and bad. But I think for practical purposes of mobility I'll have to try this out. Not like I'm NOT gonna have enough chicks here in a few weeks
roll.png
Thanks again though. Keep up the good work.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom