What size bulb for Coop ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cajunlizz, Dec 2, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    One of my coops I have added light to for extra hours , just not sure what size is better . Any suggestions ?

this coop is 8x12

2. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Using a 100 watt flourescent bulb, should do just fine.

3. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    You go to an eletrical supply store aand get a 240 volt bulb. My grandpa used these for decades in his house and I have some in my coop that have been in there since I built it 1 1/2 years ago. They last forever. Alot longer then the flourescent junk does. They really don't last that long and are actually supposed to be disposed of differently then throwing in the trash. I only use them when my brother (who works for a construction electrical suppply store) gets some free. I never waste my money on them.

jeremy

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    if the question is about how much brightness you need to influence laying, what books generally say is that if you can read a newspaper reasonably comfortably at chicken level, it's bright enough to count as 'day' to them -- like, a 60 watt bulb on the ceiling of a 10x10 coop.

Pat

5. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    It's funny you should ask this. I was just reading in a book called "Living with Chickens" that says a 40 watt bulb in a 12 x 12 will provide enough light to stimulate the pituitary glands in hens to keep them laying through the winter months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by