What size / type wire for a quail hutch floor?

bel

Songster
10 Years
Jan 15, 2010
East bay
Hi,
We just had a sucessful Coturnix hatch in the classroom at my son's school, these guys are ridiculously cute. I'm building a hutch for when they grow up, what size type welded wire is best to use for the floor? (they will have rest areas and dust bathing bins too, but I think a raised wire floor is safest for when they move outdoors due to skunks)
Thanks,
bel

Quote:
Yea! Protect your birds agains predators.

I try to recycle predators like opossum and coons.

I feed them to the vultures, after all vultures help to clean environment and they do not charge tax for it.

And remember that ....

If you are worried about skunks I would use 1/4" wire for all sides of the cage. This wire is too small for them to get their little hands through.

Poo does not fall through 1/4 inch wire very easily. 1/2" works better for that. However, some predators might still be a problem.

Personally, if making a raised cage for outdoor use, and installing a wire bottom, I would ALSO take measures to keep predators from getting under it at all. Enclose the legs in wire, too, as a first defense from predators. Make it where you can remove it, though to clean underneath.

Quote:
hummm we switched to 1/4 wire, because the corts feet kept falling through the 1/2 " wire when they were younger....
haven't had any issues with poo not falling through....

Quote:
I have cages with 1/2 X 1/2 bottoms, and also cages with 1 X 1/2 bottoms. I found out that 1 X 1/2 bottoms are easier on their feet, even though openigs are larger, but diameter of 1 X 1/2 wire is much larger than tiny 1/2 X 1/2 hardclothe wire, so they are more comfortable.

As for predator protection I keep all my quail cages inside large walk in 7' X 15 ' chain link dog kennel with solid metal roof.

I keep my coon traps set all the time outside, so an occasional visitor is lured to the bait and trapped after unsuccesful attempt to get to my birds.

Back
Top Bottom