What size / type wire for a quail hutch floor?

Quote:
hummm we switched to 1/4 wire, because the corts feet kept falling through the 1/2 " wire when they were younger....
haven't had any issues with poo not falling through....

Yup, I was thinking of adult birds. I have some wire bottom cages that were given to me but have covered the wire with other things for my buttons that are in them. I don't like wire bottom for any of them, coturnix included. My couturnix are on solid bottoms too.

Wire bottoms just aren't normal for them. Though I can't simulate a natural environment for my birds, I can make at least some things closer for them - thus no wire bottoms.
wink.png

If your birds are outside, then 1/2 inch wire all around.
I'm having problems with rodent/s at the moment, but when I get a bead on it/them, a .22 cal. eviction notice will be served....with extreme prejudice!
Not really worth the 3 quail toes is it you little varmint??? Sorry...I digress!

You can't go wrong with 1/2 inch wire! Just my opinion.
smile.png

1/2 by 1/2 works for the coturnix my bobs the poo is not falling through the 1/2 by 1/2 so I make all my cages/pens with the 1/2 by 1" these days works for both bobs and corts the predators do not last long here fox coon possum etc are dispatched on a regular basis here. I bait them away from the birds and trap and dispatch them away from the birds as well.

Hi which would work better 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch mesh or 1 inch chicken wire as the floor for a cortnix or bobwhite breeder pen.

I had quails in a cage 1/4 inch on the floor and 1x2 inches on the walls.
And I must say that the quails are stupid! The sometimes sleep with their heads outside the cage! Then fox comes at night and eats the head...
The same happened when I had them in a cage adequate of chicken wire as walls.
Now my question is can I make their floor from 1/2x1 inch wire, as I will have a lot of it left from making my rabbit cages.

I had quails in a cage 1/4 inch on the floor and 1x2 inches on the walls.
And I must say that the quails are stupid! The sometimes sleep with their heads outside the cage! Then fox comes at night and eats the head...
The same happened when I had them in a cage adequate of chicken wire as walls.
Now my question is can I make their floor from 1/2x1 inch wire, as I will have a lot of it left from making my rabbit cages.[/quote
The size we use for our Cortinix is 1"x 1" for the walls and 1/2"x 1/2" for the floor. The quail cannot put their heads through it. Right now I have a large cage for the young ones that come out of the brooder (our nursery pen) that has smaller flooring-1/4"x 1/4". I currently am housing adults in it bc we won't start incubating for a couple of months due to our very hot temps; but the adult's poop doesn't fall through, so I have to clean it every single day. So I would not go any larger or smaller than the 1/2"x 1/2" for the floor & 1"x 1" for the walls, or you will just create a lot more work for yourself than necessary. Our pens are outside so the poo just falls underneath then we shovel it into our composter. If you plan to make a second story pen the poo will need to fall through into a catch tray, right? I would love to see what you come up with if you make a 2-story pen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom