What size / type wire for a quail hutch floor?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bel, Oct 20, 2010.

1. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    Hi,
    We just had a sucessful Coturnix hatch in the classroom at my son's school, these guys are ridiculously cute. I'm building a hutch for when they grow up, what size type welded wire is best to use for the floor? (they will have rest areas and dust bathing bins too, but I think a raised wire floor is safest for when they move outdoors due to skunks)
    Thanks,
    bel

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

i use 1/2 inch hardware cloth. opossum pulled one of my first babies thru 1 inch chicken wire...take no chances now!

3. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Yea! Protect your birds agains predators.

I try to recycle predators like opossum and coons.

I feed them to the vultures, after all vultures help to clean environment and they do not charge tax for it.

And remember that ....

4. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    If you are worried about skunks I would use 1/4" wire for all sides of the cage. This wire is too small for them to get their little hands through.

5. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    I use 1/2" mesh that is coated with green PVC

6. katheria

katheria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    i use 1/4" hardware cloth

7. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Poo does not fall through 1/4 inch wire very easily. 1/2" works better for that. However, some predators might still be a problem.

Personally, if making a raised cage for outdoor use, and installing a wire bottom, I would ALSO take measures to keep predators from getting under it at all. Enclose the legs in wire, too, as a first defense from predators. Make it where you can remove it, though to clean underneath.

8. katheria

katheria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Quote:hummm we switched to 1/4 wire, because the corts feet kept falling through the 1/2 " wire when they were younger....
    haven't had any issues with poo not falling through....

9. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    Thanks for all your help everyone.

10. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I have cages with 1/2 X 1/2 bottoms, and also cages with 1 X 1/2 bottoms. I found out that 1 X 1/2 bottoms are easier on their feet, even though openigs are larger, but diameter of 1 X 1/2 wire is much larger than tiny 1/2 X 1/2 hardclothe wire, so they are more comfortable.

As for predator protection I keep all my quail cages inside large walk in 7' X 15 ' chain link dog kennel with solid metal roof.

I keep my coon traps set all the time outside, so an occasional visitor is lured to the bait and trapped after unsuccesful attempt to get to my birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by