What size wire is recommended for brooder floors?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by triple j farms, Dec 5, 2015.

1. triple j farms

triple j farms Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2015
    I am building a new brooder box and I want it to have a wire floor. The idea is to have trays under it for easy clean up. I am thinking 1/4" won't allow litter through. But if I use 1/2" will the chicks be able to walk on it easy? Has anyone ever tried this?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would not use a wire floor for any poultry. IMO, it sets them up for foot injuries. I'm sure there are folks who do use wire, and they are happy with it. But, I'd rather give them a nice layer of bedding to scratch around in. Gives them more opportunity to be chickens. On wire, they have NOTHING to do, which can lead to aggression. (JMHO) Easier than wire: deep litter. You can put in a layer of shavings, when it gets a bit messy, toss some more on top. Keep doing so, and I've found that the shavings will last until they are ready to go to the coop at 4 - 6 weeks. Or you can brood them IN the coop. Check this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have a GQF brooder with 1/4 wire bottom. Most of the poop does make it down to the tray.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I just cringe at the mention of wire flooring for chickens, especially delicate baby chick feet. Is it really worth the chance of foot injuries to have a little bit of ease in poop management?

I've always provided either sand or shavings as bedding and then picked our the poop several times a day to keep things odor-free.

Next opportunity, pick up a baby chick and feel those delicate tiny feet, thin as paper, and you wouldn't want them scraping across a rough metal mesh surface.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Not to mention, it's COLD. Even with a heat lamp, or a heating pad brooder, it would not be comfortable to lay on.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I think wire is a very bad idea, and use shavings here. Easy! Mary

7. triple j farms

Nov 21, 2015
    Thanks for the advice. I will probably stick to the box with shaving.

8. triple j farms

Nov 21, 2015
    If management of my animals can be simplified then that's great. But I think making them comfortable and safe is also important.

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Happy to hear your love for chickens has persuaded you. We chicken lovers can be pretty militant.

10. triple j farms

Nov 21, 2015
    I also thought about building a chicken tractor with the box being used for the brooder. That way they can get outside to. But would the ground be to cold even if I put shavings in the box. Of course there is going to be a light inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by