What small breed of puppy do you recommend?

I don’t really get why everyone is being so unnecessarily rude to the OP. It’s getting a little bit ridiculous. Where exactly did she say she doesn’t take care of her dogs? You guys just assumed that. Which is even more ridiculous considering she said she plans to take this one places and socialize and train it. So I don’t really see how that translates to not training it and wanting a rock that just sits there... you guys are just twisting everting the OP is saying and quite frankly being unnecessarily rude.

Where does it say I don't take care of my dogs?? All of my dogs have been to the vet recently and are up to date on all of their shots... They also got a wellness check. My other 2 dogs probably don't bark at people because they're Golden Retrievers and they're more of a social breed. I've taken my dogs to the park and we have 10 acres of fenced property.. So to say I do not take care of my dogs is totally ridiculous and false. I was just looking for a breed that doesn't need every day socialization but I guess all small breed dogs bark so I'm not going to find that. My min pin doesn't bark at people when we go out just other dogs.. She's also potty trained yet she marked her territory in the petstore last time we took her. I guess all small dogs have that "territorial' nature so I'll look into a bigger, friendlier breed..

From what I have read and from owners I talked to today the Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are very similar to Goldens in terms of personality and everything so I think that they might be a good fit for you given that you have two Goldens already. But they can be prone to health problems so be careful and find a good breeder.

I don’t really get why everyone is being so unnecessarily rude to the OP. It’s getting a little bit ridiculous. Where exactly did she say she doesn’t take care of her dogs? You guys just assumed that. Which is even more ridiculous considering she said she plans to take this one places and socialize and train it. So I don’t really see how that translates to not training it and wanting a rock that just sits there... you guys are just twisting everting the OP is saying and quite frankly being unnecessarily rude.
From what I have read and from owners I talked to today the Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are very similar to Goldens in terms of personality and everything so I think that they might be a good fit for you given that you have two Goldens already. But they can be prone to health problems so be careful and find a good breeder.
Thank you so much! :) Hopefully some will come along that breed is extremely hard to get out here :)

I would be curious to hear opinions too. I am now considering one.

I talked to a CKC breeder at a meet the breeds event. They are terrific companion dogs and very sweet. The want to be with you all of the time. They recommend that two are better than one. I adore them. They snuggle very well!

Disadvantage is that they carry a gene for dilated cardiomyopathy and many don't live past five years old. They are expensive to acquire -- more so than most toy breeds and breeders often have the attitude that if you have to ask...etc. They are hard to come by in rescue as well. *

But I do love them and if they didn't have heart problems I'd jump right in!

*One of them sold privately to a rescue group at a dog auction (dumping stock) for $20,000 per the Washington Post. I don't think this is common but they are hard to find.

I talked to a CKC breeder at a meet the breeds event. They are terrific companion dogs and very sweet. The want to be with you all of the time. They recommend that two are better than one. I adore them. They snuggle very well!

Disadvantage is that they carry a gene for dilated cardiomyopathy and many don't live past five years old. They are expensive to acquire -- more so than most toy breeds and breeders often have the attitude that if you have to ask...etc. They are hard to come by in rescue as well. *

But I do love them and if they didn't have heart problems I'd jump right in!

*One of them sold privately to a rescue group at a dog auction (dumping stock) for $20,000 per the Washington Post. I don't think this is common but they are hard to find.

Thank you for this information!! It is very helpful and I appreciate it. They sound like great little dogs!!

But aww that is really sad about the health issues. :(

I adore them. And now that I'm old the five years is almost a good thing. But i already have four dogs, two of which are elderly, one is middle aged and one who's young. I barely have the energy for the ones i have! :th

I found a couple breeders who’s guarantees go 5 years instead of the 1 or 2 years of most and/or guarantee against the two major diseases in the breed which I think is a good thing?? And aww wow you have a lot of dogs!!

I found a couple breeders who’s guarantees go 5 years instead of the 1 or 2 years of most and/or guarantee against the two major diseases in the breed which I think is a good thing?? And aww wow you have a lot of dogs!!

That's great.if they really mean it.

I do have a lot of dogs! Three of them are Toy Fox Terriers though which weigh about nine pounds each! They sometimes have a lot to say! But they are gentle, love people and are quite cuddly. One of them (the incontinent one) is a shelter rescue. We went to photograph all of these confiscated TFTs as a favor and ended up adopting one!

She's goofy but we love her. She had been a show dog and a friend recognized her name and sent me her info from a catalog. She doesn't really look like a show dog anymore but she still moves like one! :love

I know a few people who keep Cocker spaniels for retrieving (there's a local pheasant hunting club) and they seem to be good dogs. Of course, your average hunter puts a lot of time into training his dog, so that might not be a good place to get a sample. They're small-medium—20-30 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom