What small breed of puppy do you recommend?

Bassets are NOT small... not sure what your definition of small is but while they're short they're quite stout. A friend's family had several bassets over the years and their smallest was around 40 lbs. They're also not good lap dogs because of their long bodies, so IMO it's best to not be picking them up too much. As far as temperament the dogs I've met seemed pretty... average? Not too energetic, not too lazy, but those dogs were all well trained and socialized.

Not sure what other breed I'd recommend. To me training is more key to a dog's behavior than breed standards (not saying to ignore them, because of course a Jack Russell is going to be more energetic, or a Beagle is going to want to howl). Sounds like you want a really easy to care for dog but all puppies are energetic and will require work.

As for this part: I know all it takes is socialization but I'm not out that often so I want something that doesn't need a lot of socializing to be friendly towards strangers - most dogs won't "naturally" socialize without effort from their owner. Like I don't socialize my dogs to people too much because we don't need them to be friendly to strangers - we don't have many guests and live on a private road so I want them to bark if anyone or anything comes by. However I do also expect them to stop and lie down when I tell them to.

Bassets are NOT small... not sure what your definition of small is but while they're short they're quite stout. A friend's family had several bassets over the years and their smallest was around 40 lbs. They're also not good lap dogs because of their long bodies, so IMO it's best to not be picking them up too much. As far as temperament the dogs I've met seemed pretty... average? Not too energetic, not too lazy, but those dogs were all well trained and socialized.

Not sure what other breed I'd recommend. To me training is more key to a dog's behavior than breed standards (not saying to ignore them, because of course a Jack Russell is going to be more energetic, or a Beagle is going to want to howl). Sounds like you want a really easy to care for dog but all puppies are energetic and will require work.

As for this part: I know all it takes is socialization but I'm not out that often so I want something that doesn't need a lot of socializing to be friendly towards strangers - most dogs won't "naturally" socialize without effort from their owner. Like I don't socialize my dogs to people too much because we don't need them to be friendly to strangers - we don't have many guests and live on a private road so I want them to bark if anyone or anything comes by. However I do also expect them to stop and lie down when I tell them to.
Thank you so much for your reply! Do Basset hounds tend to smell? Do they like to run like other hounds?

I'm not a small dog person, but a childhood friend had a cocker spaniel and there's a cocker spaniel in my neighbourhood where I live now. Both very calm, but also playful dogs.

I hear you about the rescue dog thing. I also had a bad experience and will never do it again. Raising a breed bred for the specific traits you need/want from a puppy is the best way, I've found. Still loads of work, but you know what you're getting. We now have 3 Hungarian Kuvasz, all lap dogs, all over 100 pounds! They protect the chickens, and even step in to stop cock fights ;)

I have two Shetland Sheepdogs (aka Shelties). One is medium sized and one is large. I've come across people that have small Shelties- which may be something you are looking for. The breed is rather compatible, a good companion, and well worth the lifelong friendship!!

(NOT MY PHOTO)
This is a "Miniature" Sheltie I found a photo of on the internet.

upload_2019-6-14_19-29-0.png

Best of luck on your mission of finding a nice dog!

I have two Shetland Sheepdogs (aka Shelties). One is medium sized and one is large. I've come across people that have small Shelties- which may be something you are looking for. The breed is rather compatible, a good companion, and well worth the lifelong friendship!!

(NOT MY PHOTO)
This is a "Miniature" Sheltie I found a photo of on the internet.

View attachment 1813403

Best of luck on your mission of finding a nice dog!

Shelters are cute little dogs!! I went to an agility trial today and saw tons of them. But they are a little bit yappy/barky/vocal dogs, right?

The ony bassett hound i have known belonged to a girl i once worked with.
He was a slow plodding dog that refused to stay at home and every chance he got he slipped away and wandered into town where he caused stopped traffic many times and was picked up by animal control many many times
In our town, the first pickup is 25 dollars and each pickup after is double the last. So eventually she was paying hunderds of dollars to get her dog out of jail.
Avoid hounds unless you plan to tie your dog up or install invisable fence to keep him home.
But honestly it sounds to me that you have already made up your mind.
Good luck!

Thank you so much for your reply! Do Basset hounds tend to smell? Do they like to run like other hounds?

They do smell. They have a naturally oily coat and the oil gets on everything. And as someone else mentioned they are not small. They are bred to hunt independently and are difficult to train. That includes.potty training.

Also if you picked a breed and told a reputable breeder what you have written here about your other dogs i am pretty sure they would not sell you a dog under any circumstances. Most rescues wouldn't either. You already have dogs.

Do Basset hounds tend to smell? Do they like to run like other hounds?

They can smell due to the wrinkles of their skin accumulating bacteria, so I imagine they need to have the folds wiped down. Ear infections can be an issue since they have such heavy drooping ears.

They can run but it's usually more of a waddle, they're just not built for running. Doesn't mean they don't need exercise but probably just regular walks would be enough for most of them.

Back
Top Bottom