What smallish breeds can I buy as sexed chicks?

appps

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Australia
Not sure if this is the right forum but I want to add to my flock of four to bring it up to six or seven hens for my one rooster.

These are kids pets firstly and egg layers second :) so really wanted to buy young chicks again so they are used to being handled. Having ended up with one roo already using the mystery box method I'm wary of going that way again.

What I have are bantams so not sure what I can add to the flock that will fit in and I can buy already sexed but as a chick?

We had astralorps and I think Isa browns years ago which were the most amazing pets and we bought them sexed but will they go okay with bantams and will they give the bantam girls a break from the bantam rooster or would they be too big for him?

Last edited:
Sure, MyPetChicken sells sexed bantam breeds. Www.mypetchicken.com
v

Thanks in Aus so should have mentioned that. Ill go take a look though will give me an idea of breeds.

I don't know that mail order is an option here though. Most likely they would end up coming from a local breeder if I can't buy sexed through a pet shop or feed store. So easily sexed I guess. The last lot the breeder didn't know how to sex and neither did any of the local contacts they had. (Silkie mix). That led me to think bantams must be harder to sex?

Back
Top Bottom