What snacks DON'T or chickens like???

~ANY UNCOOKED BEAN~
As a homesteader trying to get away from GMO bag feed and the high feed store bill I tried to supplement my birds with the highest protein plant I could find - beans - Unfortunately there isn't a lot of information on the toxic level of uncooked beans and the affects on birds. But I will tell you from experience - you need to cook beans for at least ten minutes before providing them to your poultry.
My first year I fed tiny cut up raw pieces of beans to chicks to teach them foraging at an early age. I lost a few not knowing the cause.
Later that year I was dumping over 10 pounds of raw beans a day in the coop and occasionally I would lose a bird at up to 6 weeks.
Uncooked beans won't always kill your bird but the enzyme in the beans inhibits it to utilize protein. Eventually, causing harm or death.
Studying feed supplements, I came across this information about needing to cook them beans and I haven't lost any birds this year.
This year I used a giant turkey fryer to steam beans for my poultry. When that wasn't enough I moved to huge pots on the stove.

pop.gif
(wow this woman has a lot of time on her hands or is nuts… maybe both.)
My birds get a portion of our organic garden foods daily to cut feed costs and to provide nutrition. The development of the inside of our birds is just as important as the weight they gain.

Here are some excerpts from web pages about bean toxins.

Cooked beans are a favorite treat of many birds, but raw, dry bean mixes can be extremely harmful to your pet. Uncooked dried beans contain a poison called hemaglutin which is very toxic to birds. To avoid exposure, make sure to thoroughly cook any beans that you choose to share with your bird.

Beans. Raw and dried beans contain the toxin phasin. This warning applies to all beans including thestring or green bean (Phaseolus vulgaris), red runner bean (P. coccineus), kidney bean(Phaseolus vulgaris), lima bean (P. lunatus), and jack bean (Canavalia ensiformis). Canned beans and beans cooked for ten minutes are fine since this denatures the toxin. Ologhobo (2003) showed that feeding raw lima and jack beans to chickens was toxic and presumably they are for parrots also. Yet, Mendez et al. (71) noted in their study that only diets containing greater than 10% raw jack beans inhibited weight gain. Most bean sprouts appear to be safe to feed and aviculturalist highly tout them (105) , an exception are the sprouts of the red kidney bean.

HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE!!
Green potatoes are also poisonous to birds (and humans). I have also read that potato eyes can kill turkeys but I plant those instead of giving those to the birds.
wink.png

Mine love bananas, apples, yogurt, BOSS and mealworms. Thought they would like a peanut butter & birdseed cake (like a suet cake)...NOPE. Haven't touched it!

Mine don't like yogurt. I've tried both regular and greek. They think I'm nuts. Otherwise I call them my little garbage disposals. They eat everything! I've also had to put a fence around my tomatoes. There used to be cruise by pickings. They'd run by them as I was trying to shoo them away, and swipe one as they went. And always the ones that were just about ready for picking. Silly girls.

mine like everything but pumpkin and mangos.
They love love their fermented feed and that is the only thing they want first thing in the morning. If you let them out and dont have it ready yet they will follow us up the deck steps and wait on the deck outside the door yelling until we bring it out!

I've heard about citrus not being good for chickens but have yet to see anything to truly substantiate it (beyond most chickens turning their nose up to it). Some fruit seeds and pits, like apples, mangoes, peaches, and bitter almonds, have trace amounts of cyanide compounds. I feed my hens the occasional leftover grapefruit or orange I'm done chewing on for breakfast, sans the seeds. They seems to like the white part of the inner skin more than the leftover pulp.

My hens love bananas but don't particular care for collards or Brussels sprouts.

Today I tossed a couple pieces of leftover peeled shrimp from New Year's Eve out to them and they went bonkers, which is totally opposite of what they did when I tried giving them some freeze dried shrimp from the Asian market (was test driving different protein source treats) several weeks ago. They ran the other way.

Hi
D.gif
Our chickens love yoghurt, but it's not a regular for them still!!! Anyway, foods like porridge, wet oats\bran can kill them if they have too much, because as it is a wet gloopy food, it can get stuck up in their throat, and they can die. I've only tried it on one chicken, but she seems to like greek yoghurt. Also dont feed them mouldy foods, it's not good for them. Our chickens dont like citrus fruits, but at first they pecked at them a little. They basically love all other fruits!!! They're like a vacumn cleaner and they eat nearly everything!!!! If you give them a watermelon, then they wont stop until only the skin is left.

Back
Top Bottom