What So Many Don't Seem to Understand About Cornish X Broilers

JDN

Songster
5 Years
Feb 28, 2018
Raleigh NC
Especially here on BYC but in other venues as well, so many people are missing the important lessons on Broiler chickens. You see the comments all the time, about people that feel an inherent guilt about raising or consuming an animal that fits into an artificial construction what it should or should not be.

Such feelings of guilt, consternation, or fear, indicate that some are looking at it through the wrong lens. I, like most people here, bought some chickens because my wife wanted some and I thought it would be fun, and it has been. Some people do it as an extension of gardening, enjoying producing their own food. Some people do it out of fear of our food production systems. Some people like them as pets. None of the above are bad, or wrong answers, but you can't let that cloud your vision.

It goes without saying, but Broilers are bred to be the most efficient at feed conversion, period. It is this wonderful animal husbandry work that allows chicken to be among the most affordable sources of animal protein available. There is a reason that Beef costs more than Pork, and Pork Costs more than Chicken.

I raised my first Cornish X's this year and I'm already scheming how/where to raise another, bigger batch. The experience was such an awesome lesson in Animal Husbandry, especially for someone raised in suburbia. I might do a different meat breed, but that's just me indulging an interest or hobby, no different than golfing or bird watching.

If your goal is to be efficient, to learn to be sufficient, etc, then there is no better way to go.

If your goal is to get a different tasting chicken, if your guilt induces you to look for breeds that are better natural foragers, slower growing, etc, then you need to be honest with yourself. You are indulging your fancies, which is a luxury of your relative affluence. There is nothing at all wrong with that, but what you're doing is, at its core, no different than purchasing water, in a 20 oz plastic bottle, that was bathed in diesel fuel to get to the store, because you ascribe vague qualities to its superiority over tap water.

No one feels guilty about buying and raising Leghorns or Rhode Island Red's, even though they are mostly laying birds with marginal value as meat. So why the inverse? If you want your own flock of reproducing birds where you plan to eat some and keep some as layers, obviously neither the Cornish X or Leghorn is a good choice.

A Border Collie is not inherently better than a Pekingese, though a serious sheep farmer would only have one of those for purposes of his work. And, if you live in an apartment and have a low-key lifestyle, then you would find a Border Collie a horrid animal to live with. Similarly, if you want to have a couple pretty birds for some eggs and to teach the kids about life, biology, whatever, a Cornish X is a sorry choice. But that doesn't make it somehow wrong or less than.

So you are saying don't feel guilty for buying a CX for meat?

I agree. Define your goals. Then work towards your goals. The CX are an acceptable answer. I just butchered my first batch and also looking forward to the next.

So you are saying don't feel guilty for buying a CX for meat?

I agree. Define your goals. Then work towards your goals. The CX are an acceptable answer. I just butchered my first batch and also looking forward to the next.
Yes. I'm also saying that the "Franken Bird" comments, comments about sustainability, etc, are ill placed. And, concerns about its foraging ability, or long term viability, are ill placed. No one worries about how protective a Labrador Retriever is; if they're concerned with that, they buy a German Shepherd, Malinois, etc...

Developing strains of birds isn't an example of the Big Ag run amok and poisoning us, but rather of how we'll continue to feed the world affordably.

Appeals to antiquity (that isn't what Grandma Raised, Organic vegetables are what Granddad used to call "food," etc) are not only a logical fallacy but often outright wrong. I can tell you that my Grandmother and her sisters would have loved to raise a Broiler type bird. All that extra feed was scarce and could have been put to other uses...

In my opinion, unless you are looking to take it personally and choose to be offended, there really isn't anything inflammatory about the original post. It's the OP's opinion, take it or leave it.

Broilers have their place in the chicken world. Use them or not, your choice.

In my opinion, I do not believe they are "sustainable" nor self-sufficient. If you need to purchase the chicks, you are not sustainable by the definition of the word.

SUSTAINABLE: able to be maintained at a certain rate or level.
-conserving an ecological balance by avoiding depletion of natural resources

If you can breed your own replacements, that is self-sufficient.

I like the meat to feed ratio of the broilers. I have 2 living in the barn that have escaped freezer camp due to unforeseen issues, they will go camping this weekend I hope. At over 18 pounds live weight, it is really is time. Their buddy that I butchered about a month 1/2 ago produced over 4 pounds of boneless-skinless white meat. That is what we prefer to eat. My next attempt will be to see if I can get good results using less purchased feed and more home grown grain/greens.

In my opinion, unless you are looking to take it personally and choose to be offended, there really isn't anything inflammatory about the original post. It's the OP's opinion, take it or leave it.

Broilers have their place in the chicken world. Use them or not, your choice.

In my opinion, I do not believe they are "sustainable" nor self-sufficient. If you need to purchase the chicks, you are not sustainable by the definition of the word.

SUSTAINABLE: able to be maintained at a certain rate or level.
-conserving an ecological balance by avoiding depletion of natural resources

If you can breed your own replacements, that is self-sufficient.

I like the meat to feed ratio of the broilers. I have 2 living in the barn that have escaped freezer camp due to unforeseen issues, they will go camping this weekend I hope. At over 18 pounds live weight, it is really is time. Their buddy that I butchered about a month 1/2 ago produced over 4 pounds of boneless-skinless white meat. That is what we prefer to eat. My next attempt will be to see if I can get good results using less purchased feed and more home grown grain/greens.
Thanks...It wasn't meant to be inflammatory. But people lose sight of the real reason for many practices sometimes, and I think its worthwhile to talk about that. And people also need to look at why they feel the way they feel, and do their own research. If your scared of something because it has a scary name like Dihydrogen Monoxide, look deeper.

And you bring up an excellent point about sustainability...Though, if it weren't sustainable, how would they keep breeding and selling them? You're right, but to a certain extent I think they just guard it like the Coca Cola guards their recipe.

Appeals to antiquity (that isn't what Grandma Raised, Organic vegetables are what Granddad used to call "food," etc) are not only a logical fallacy but often outright wrong. I can tell you that my Grandmother and her sisters would have loved to raise a Broiler type bird. All that extra feed was scarce and could have been put to other uses...

Agree. The reason we don't do it that way any more is that there is a different (sometimes better, sometimes debatable) way. Faster, cheaper or better. Choose two. Can't have all three.

It is interesting to know how things were done. But there is a reason we don't teach slide rulers in school, too. We put a man on the moon using slide rulers. Doesn't mean we want to do that again. Progress! Blessing or a curse, take it as you will.

Thanks...It wasn't meant to be inflammatory. But people lose sight of the real reason for many practices sometimes, and I think its worthwhile to talk about that. And people also need to look at why they feel the way they feel, and do their own research. If your scared of something because it has a scary name like Dihydrogen Monoxide, look deeper.

And you bring up an excellent point about sustainability...Though, if it weren't sustainable, how would they keep breeding and selling them? You're right, but to a certain extent I think they just guard it like the Coca Cola guards their recipe.

Sort of depends how you're defining sustainability.

Some folks on here are preppers, for whom "sustainable" means "I'll be able to keep doing this on my own, even if society breaks down. CX don't meet that standard.

Others are looking at use of semi-finite resources, and their definition of "sustainable" includes the birds needing to fit into the ecosystem of their homestead/farm without importing feed from off property. CX usually don't meet that standard.

But in the global sense, CX have the best feed-to-meat conversion rate of just about any animal alive (including wild animals - they have to consume calories as well), so theirs is arguably one of the most sustainable meats available in that sense.

..Though, if it weren't sustainable, how would they keep breeding and selling them? You're right, but to a certain extent I think they just guard it like the Coca Cola guards their recipe.

That is EXACTLY it. You could breed them if you wanted. Anyone could. When I was a teenager, there was a kid in Australia who made the news by developing a cross that outdid the CX. Hatcheries bought them up and decided that it wasn't economical to sustain, you needed too many lines, but those 15# birds were certainly impressive! And since the kid was just that, it's not like it could have taken him too many years to do it.

So, if you're willing to keep 3 lines going to create a Terminal Cross - that's the officalterm, and cattle and pig breeders do it All The Time, you can certainly "sustain" your own CX indefinitely, just like the hatcheries do.
Nearly no-one wants to be bothered with that sort of intensive breeding program, they just want a coop of birds that they don't have to fuss with too much - and there's nothing wrong with that! But it doesn't make CX impossible or unsustainable because you don't want to keep 3 coops of birds and crossbreed to get them.
For the curious, a 3 line Terminal Cross goes like this:
Parent line 1 x Parent line 2 = F1
F1 x Parent line 3 = terminal cross.
An incredibly common one in cattle is Hereford x Angus for Black Baldies, then Black Baldies to Charolais for the Terminal Cross - no heifers from that are kept for breeding, all the calves go to market. Lots and lots of family farms do it, it's not impossible.

Back
Top Bottom