What sort of quail are these? Photos.

jade1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 24, 2012
Also any advice/tips on quail care appreciated, I've just acquired 3.

Looks like you have 3 Coturnix to me. 1 A&M (white) 1 Rosetta/British Range Tux (Brown) and 1 Gold (Italian) tux (light yellow/gold).

What sort of care tips are you seeking? They need clean pens, gamebird crumble 22% protein or higher, and clean water. They like freeze dried mealworms for a treat, and mine love cucumber slices too.

Last edited:
Thank you! Excellent I shall get some mealworms and share my cucumber with them! I will be building a pen so any design tips would be great- I'll look at past threads on here too.

I have been told they are female and just laying. If I buy a male is it likely to integrate ok and is there anything to bear in mind when chosing it?

My local feed store sells 'quail feed' in bags so I have bought that, I will check the protein level on the bag.

Well, integrating new birds can be tricky and you'll have to wait for a more experienced quail raiser to come along and tell you about that. I "think" (but do not know) that the females would accept a male. I do know that quail are mean little buggers sometimes though. They are not above killing each other.

As far as cages go, it really seems to vary. They should have a minimum of 1 sq ft per bird. People seem to prefer to keep them on wire and not ground as they are susceptible to worms/parasites on the ground. If they are outdoor the cage needs to be strong, and hardware cloth not chicken wire as the quail attract too many predators. Inside you can be less worried obviously. Mine are on wheels. They go out during the day and get wheeled in the garage at night.

Thanks Kherome, I'll wait to see if anyone has more advice about integrating, and if I do add a male I'll keep a close eye on them!
Thanks for the cage advice, I like the idea of wheels! They will be off the floor and will definitely have at least 2sq foot each. Can you describe hardware cloth? I'm from the uk and not sure what our equivalent of it is!

Oh sure, hardware cloth is stiffer and thicker than chicken wire (which is usually twisted together in an octagon shape), and the holes are square and usually much smaller than the opening in chicken wire. 1/2" is usually good.

Pretty birds! If you get three eggs a day they are all hens. If one crows it's a male. If you introduce a new male put them all in a new cage, dog crate or other inclosure for a day or two, do not put him in their old cage. They might try to kill him. Neutral territory is best at first and only for a day or two then put them back in the hen's old cage. If he is a little older than they are it will help. They can bully a male that is much younger.

One other thing. If you decide to get a male you will want to get at least one more hen at the same time. They will all be happier if there are more hens, 4-7 is best or he can over-breed them. Three is not enough hens for one roo IMHO.

Thanks Sill! Daft question but what does a quail crowing sound like- similar to a chicken rooster? I have heard some sort of clucks and a sound that reminds me a bit of a seagull! If I get a male I will also get another female or two then. Their proper cage is currently being designed and built so they are in a temporary one at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom