What State Fits My Family Best?

Quote:
Really? Thats where I want to go.

Advance, NC
wink.png

Quote:
Ohio or Kentucky........

Oh here in ohio we do have Black bear , copperheads ,timber rattlesnakes, bald eagles, lots of hawks, coyote , foxes (red and grey).....millions of those raccoons.

weather don't worry about it if you don't like it wait a few days it will change.

Tornadoes yes a few I HAVE BEEN IN THREE....one was a f4

Now with all that said ....land if grand...graze about 4 times as many animals on same area, As the western States.

Plus here the big reason.OHIO NATIONAL POULTRY IS HELD HERE
lol.png

If your a horse person Kentucky is 3rd and ohio 6 th in number of horse per state.......one of the biggest horse shows is right here in my town.

land is selling cheap here in ohio now......bad thing Ohio is 3rd in unemployment now.

Quote:
X2 I loved living on the Washington side of the Columbia River. I would tell you that you could try Western Washington, but this year was the coldest summer on record. I think we had only 10 days of summer this year.
th.gif
I want to move to the Spokane WA area, maybe even as far north as Metaline Falls.

sunny & the 5 egg layers :

Me and my family currently live in Massachusetts. We have a little over an acre. But we would love to live somewhere and have land and a small farm.

Here is what I am looking for:
-Lots of land.
-The seasons (I dont want to live somewhere that is constantly hot and doesn't get all four seasons.)
-Can have whatever type of livestock you wish.
-Farming type community.

Anybody have any suggestions?
smile.png

Agreeing with another that it'd be easier to narrow it down a bit if you'd list temp/snow limits on what you mean by "4 seasons" and also budget ideas and what type of weather hazards you're willing to risk...some of the most beautiful, lush, affordable places in the U.S. are in northern Arizona and have all 4 seasons yet with quick escape available to another season of your choice just a few hours away.​

Last edited:
Another vote for Michigan, as long as you won't be looking for employment once you get there, 'cause there isn't much there. (We left there a year ago, for jobs... our house had lost half of it's value between 2004 when it was appraised, and 2010 when we left (it's now being rented out!) So, there's LOTS of property available... and VERY cheap compared to New England prices.) Weather is variable, depending on where you are in the state. In the southern part of the state, winters are milder than New England winters, and summers can be hot/muggy. Some tornados in the southern part, as well. Further north (where we left) more rural, seasons very similar to New England... long snowy winters, wet muddy spring, short, relatively mild summers, and glorious autumns. (we lived in New Hampshire ~ 20 years ago, so I'm familiar with New England weather, too) Taxes are reasonable. Our yearly taxes on our house (1 acre property) were around $600/year. Sales tax 6%, there is a state income tax, but I can't recall the rate right now... In all the years we lived up north, I am not aware of there having been any tornados... no hurricanes, no earthquakes, really, the only thing you have is a couple of blizzards a year, and they know how to deal with the snow. I've never been snowed in for more than a day in all the years I lived there.

Before we left, we had been looking at a beautiful piece of property... HUGE old house, 6 or 7 bedrooms, with a barn in perfect condition, a chicken house, garage/workshop, garden shed w/ attached greenhouse/cold frame, and a maple grove, on 17 acres, and the last I knew it was listed for $175,000. It was just that whole "need an income" thing... ya' know?

ALASKA!!!

Never too hot.

NO tornados
NO hurricanes
NO blizzards, at least not where I live. Usually when it's snowing, it isn't blowing, at least in the upper Tanana Valley.
NO unnecessary humidity
NO traffic jams!!!!!!!
Fewer stifling regulations
Definitely have four seasons, although some of them are longer than others...

Only minutes away from uninterupted wilderness.

Back
Top Bottom