1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What surprises did you get when you ordered the chick "special"?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wink, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Wink

Wink Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    I actually didn't order the full special from Ideal....just 6 feather footed whatevers and 3 clean legged whatevers.

Last year I bought 25 chicks, some I put specificity into, but the rest I ordered assorted. And because I can't keep the boys, I ended up giving away a lot of my specifieds. Some of m favorite girls were the random ones (never did get them identified, lol).

So this time around, it'll be a guessing game....girl or boy? And who the heck are you?

What fun ones did you end up with?

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
  3. Wink

Wink Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    As far as I know, that process can't be used with bantams (due to their size and delicacy?). I think only mypetchicken.com can sex them, but even then, it's not as accurate. And then each chick ends up being $10.50....yikes!

4. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

Quite true. The only hatchery I've found that won't do straight run on bantams is mypetchicken and, as indicated, the price for each is considerably higher than other hatcheries.

Gail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by