What the heck is he doing?...

Could you look in his throat with a flashlight to check for lesions or pus or inflammation to rule that out? 
Posting to follow. Best of luck and hope you and yours are safe from the storm this weekend.

Yes, I was gonna do that tonight but I'm just sick of all this rain so I decided to wait till morning. But I'll do that as soon as possible.
Oh yeah, sorry, brain fart......sometimes all you can do is watch and see what happens next.

Its all good. At first I was like "yea... It doesn't look normal. That's kinda why I was asking". Lol!

Ah yes, I'm sorry.. Didn't mean to be selfish cause I know about the drought (and the fires?..).

And that Marine is me. Yep, another male chicken fanatic. Lol! I love our little flock. But anyhow, thank you for your kind words. I sometimes wish I stayed in, but 4 years and two combat deployments later I was feeling pretty old for my age...

Ah yes, I'm sorry.. Didn't mean to be selfish cause I know about the drought (and the fires?..).

And that Marine is me. Yep, another male chicken fanatic. Lol! I love our little flock. But anyhow, thank you for your kind words. I sometimes wish I stayed in, but 4 years and two combat deployments later I was feeling pretty old for my age...
You weren't being selfish, I was making a bad joke! Ya'll are under severe weather warnings! I lived in FL where it rained for days on end. flooding, yucky, it was awful. We "might" get another few drops here over the weekend.
fl.gif
Millions of acres burned and the official fire season is just starting. They are predicting a very wet winter, so those hillside houses will be "mobile homes".
LOL on male fanatic. There's bunches on here. My Hubs and my Pops are way worse than me!
Two combat deployments. That'll sure do it. I live in a very military area, between Camp Pendleton and Twenty Nine Palms . Train service dogs for wounded soldiers. Bless you, thank whoever each of us thank that you came home. Happy Birthday Marine Corps Nov 10. You can always re-enlist if that's where your road takes you. K, way off topic, roo will be fine, we'll be
pop.gif
Semper Fi!

You weren't being selfish, I was making a bad joke! Ya'll are under severe weather warnings! I lived in FL where it rained for days on end. flooding, yucky, it was awful. We "might" get another few drops here over the weekend.
fl.gif
Millions of acres burned and the official fire season is just starting. They are predicting a very wet winter, so those hillside houses will be "mobile homes".
LOL on male fanatic. There's bunches on here. My Hubs and my Pops are way worse than me!
Two combat deployments. That'll sure do it. I live in a very military area, between Camp Pendleton and Twenty Nine Palms . Train service dogs for wounded soldiers. Bless you, thank whoever each of us thank that you came home. Happy Birthday Marine Corps Nov 10. You can always re-enlist if that's where your road takes you. K, way off topic, roo will be fine, we'll be
pop.gif
Semper Fi!
Hey! No worries. Sorry it got busy here the last week... ugh. Finally got some sunshine on Tuesday, then the WHOLE neighborhood turned their lawn mowers on at the same time I swear. Lol.

I went to MOS school in Twentynine Palms. Oh good times... lol.

Alright, update on Roo. I looked out back and noticed he was doing it again. So I went and picked him up. He doesn't do that neck twitching thing while I'm holding him, and we just could not figure out how to get his mouth open to look inside... he was not having it, lol. Anyway, only other thing I can tell that's off is that his crop is rock hard. I mean, I originally posted this a week ago and I have seen him do it before earlier in the year... so I'm not sure what to interpret it as. I guess nothing to be worried about, but it is odd? Anyway...

Also, a bit off topic from the thread, but how do you trim back spurs? I thought you could just use dog nail trimmers, which I have, but even the shortest snip and the end started bleeding... woops! I'm sure it'll clot and heal up, but it just caught me off guard. Oh, and his comb was bleeding a little... not sure if that was when he was spazzing out before I picked him up initially.

Anyway, thanks guys/gals for the feedback regarding his twitching symptom. Just a very curious behavior...

Some of My chicks have done this before and its usually something stuck in the crop like grass etc. ..and i think they are trying to make it start moving when they move the head like in the video. If he keeps doing it he may have a partially impacted crop. check him in the morning before he eats and if his crop is still swelled and hard or mushy feeling but still full then you can try massaging the crop or tube feeding him some mineral oil and then massaging the crop .

Last edited:
Thank you for the posts. Lola was doing it today as well and her crop was like a rock. Going to keep them from free ranging for a bit. Gonna also check in the morning after they've slept thru the night and check again. If their crops are hard like that still, I'll remove their feed for a day.

Thanks again for all the comments. Didn't think it would be an impacted crop. Just thought they were doing funny chicken things lol.

Thank you for the posts. Lola was doing it today as well and her crop was like a rock. Going to keep them from free ranging for a bit. Gonna also check in the morning after they've slept thru the night and check again. If their crops are hard like that still, I'll remove their feed for a day.

Thanks again for all the comments. Didn't think it would be an impacted crop. Just thought they were doing funny chicken things lol.
Good Plan!
Best of cLuck!

Back
Top Bottom