What the heck is this? Cancer?

That Terramycin is what you want. The scabs under the eye look a little like fowl pox scabs. Bubbles or foam in the eye that later forms crusty drainage sealing the eye shut, can be from MG, a chronic respiratory disease. MG sometimes can be a complication of fowl pox. Fowl pox usually would have more scabs on comb and wattles from mosquitoes spreading the virus, so I don’t know if this is what is happening or not. The eye may have been pecked or scratched causing the scabs. I would be tempted to get Tylan 50 from a feed store and give her 1.25 ml orally 3 times a day for 5 days, just in case of MG. Be sure to clean the eye and get any gunk out before applying the Terramycin 2-3 times a day.

@azygous I know, but there are a lot of things that are dangerous for chickens but safe for other animals, I wasn't sure if there were different concentrations or something like that.

@Eggcessive how contagious is that, will I need to treat all the birds I have? Or just the one showing symptoms?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220915-125418_Tractor Supply.jpg
    Screenshot_20220915-125418_Tractor Supply.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 1
@Wyorp Rock I'd like you opinion as well please.

I agree with this👇
That Terramycin is what you want. The scabs under the eye look a little like fowl pox scabs. Bubbles or foam in the eye that later forms crusty drainage sealing the eye shut, can be from MG, a chronic respiratory disease. MG sometimes can be a complication of fowl pox. Fowl pox usually would have more scabs on comb and wattles from mosquitoes spreading the virus, so I don’t know if this is what is happening or not. The eye may have been pecked or scratched causing the scabs. I would be tempted to get Tylan 50 from a feed store and give her 1.25 ml orally 3 times a day for 5 days, just in case of MG. Be sure to clean the eye and get any gunk out before applying the Terramycin 2-3 times a day.

I have been watching my flock closely, I have 55 birds total. I found another bird with blisters.

I saw there is a fowl pox vaccine. How effective is that? I tried to look it up but didn't see anything oh how effective the vaccine is

Fowl pox is spread by mosquitoes in hot weather. It tends to be worse in tropical areas and in the southern US. The vaccine is effective for chickens who have not shown symptoms yet. Once chickens have the chicken variety of pox, and recover, they are immune to it.

Back
Top Bottom