What the heck is this ugly bugger?

Picklestix7866

Songster
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
Thawing Minnesota
I got 10 chicks from a lady off of Craigslist. They were supposed to be Polish bantams. What the heck is this one? He is probably about 10 weeks old (they were all different ages when I got them). Is he a male or a female? What breed? Please help. He is a little brat and keeps picking on my other smaller chicks and starting fights, so I'm assuming he's male. His name is Little Tino (He will be Tina if he is a she haha). There are 3 more that look really similar to him. I'm very curious. Please help me
smile.png

23347_new_camera_008.jpg

23347_new_camera_010.jpg

And here is a pic of Fred (it might be George, I have two that look identical), supposedly from the same clutch. He doesn't look anything like the mean bugger I have a picture of above.

23347_new_camera_006.jpg

Could be a cross of any number of breeds - Houdan (crested, 5 toes), Sultan (crested, 5 toes, feathered feet), Silkie (crested, 5 toes, feathered feet), Dorking (5 toes), Polish (crested) are all breeds that come to mind.

HOUDAN!
big_smile.png
Thats what a couple of them look like! I just googled them. My chicks have that weird little comb like a Houdan! I honestly think the lady that I got them from THOUGHT she had all Polish, but she really had a bunch of mixes. She even showed me a bunch and some of them looked slightly different from each other. I just assumed they really were all Polish. Hmmm...

The white one looks like a Sultan cross to me. Alot of times the hatcheries sell a "crested Polish assortment" which is actually a mix of the crested breeds and different colors of Polish. So, it could include Sultans, Crevecours, Houdans, and, of course, Polish (bearded and non bearded) in a variety of colors. I've seen some of the farm stores up here selling them as "Polish" but I've pulled Crevecours and Houdans from the bins on many occasions. So, she probably did believe she had all Polish much like the hatcheries selling easter eggers as Ameracaunas or Aracaunas. People expect the company they are buying from to be experts on the products when in fact they aren't.

Back
Top Bottom