What the heck is this? Weird egg.

alknoll

Songster
Aug 14, 2020
SE Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I found this in the coop this morning, on top of the nesting boxes. Current situation: of my 6 hens, 4 are laying. Two EE's are freeloading, but they have both squatted, although not regularly. One squats more/longer than the other. All 4 hens laid eggs yesterday, so I have no reason to believe they are egg bound. One hen lays first thing in the morning, while the rest lay later in the day. Said hen knows to go in the nesting box, so I don't think she would lay an egg on top of the nesting boxes. What did I find this morning on the nesting boxes? Could it be the first egg from one of the EEs, and they didn't know it was happening, so they just laid it right then and there? Is this one egg or two? Why are there feathers?! So many questions. . .

Photo attached. Thanks!

IMG_0787.jpg

When pullets first start to lay, sometimes they will experience small glitches in their eggs the first few goes around, or just in the beginning in general. It’s nothing to be concerned about; just make sure they are on layer feed and have free choice access to oyster shell and they will work out all the kinks. My hens that have been laying for 3 years give me the occasional wonky egg. It’s all good!

It is very common for pullets to drop their first few eggs off the roost as they really don't know what is going on just yet. Soft shell and shell-less eggs are harder to pass so she may have given up and gone to roost but kept working to get it out.
Definitely keep a container or two of oyster shell in the coop or run for them to free choice eat to ensure they are getting the calcium they need to form the shells.
As her reproductive system fully matures, the odd eggs should come to an end pretty quickly.

Thanks, all. I was late the oyster shell party, and just put some out yesterday. I am feeding Layena by Purina which already has some oyster shell in it.

So I guess it sounds like it was either one of my EEs or the pullet who lays early in the morning. I should know by the end of the day if I don't see an egg from her.

It is very common for pullets to drop their first few eggs off the roost as they really don't know what is going on just yet. Soft shell and shell-less eggs are harder to pass so she may have given up and gone to roost but kept working to get it out.
Definitely keep a container or two of oyster shell in the coop or run for them to free choice eat to ensure they are getting the calcium they need to form the shells.
As her reproductive system fully matures, the odd eggs should come to an end pretty quickly.

All of my laying pullets have been laying for about a month now. I had hoped the kinks would be worked out by now.

Now that I think of it, the pullet who lays early in the morning does roost in that spot, so you may be onto something!

Back
Top Bottom