What the heck is this? Weird egg.

Would that happen after they've passed this/these egg(s)? This morning all chickens seemed spritely.
Soft shells aren't unusual or dangerous(in most cases) tho they can act pretty weird when one is moving down the pike...it 'feels' different and because no hard surface for the contractions to work against can take longer to emerge...often emerging any old place, especially off the roost at night.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
If softies keep happening, more calcium might be needed.

Soft shells aren't unusual or dangerous(in most cases) tho they can act pretty weird when one is moving down the pike...it 'feels' different and because no hard surface for the contractions to work against can take longer to emerge...often emerging any old place, especially off the roost at night.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
If softies keep happening, more calcium might be needed.

I feed 3 handfuls of Purina Scratch Grains in the morning (will be moving to PM in winter) for 6 lf and 3 bantams. Purina Layena Pellets (3.25-4.25% calcium) in the feeder. I just put some Dumor Oyster Shell out yesterday in a bowl. Will also be adding some chick grit in a bowl for winter in case they decide not to free range but hang out in the coop/run instead.

Update: I just went to collect eggs, and there was no egg from my Pearl Star Leghorn. She was making a lot of noise this morning when I went in to feed their scratch. Dang, I was hoping FINALLY one of my freeloading EEs was getting going. Oh well. Thank you all for your input. I will keep an eye on her

Was there a yolk inside this part?
View attachment 2387765
Looks like 2 eggs there to me, one with shell more fully formed. I assume you found a completed yolk in it too? Looks like they landed on feathers that stuck to the moist egg. Sometimes a tiny feather will be stuck to an egg, as a possible clue to who laid.

After they have had breakfast outside, I like to go in the henhouse to clean up their poo and feathers, and invite any in who want to return. I tap on suggested nest boxes to explore and toss in fresh shavings or hay, and several seem to stick around to inspect nests. I back off and sing or speak in a soft voice to encourage them to relax and scratch around and let nature take its course. Some of the girls seem to like someone else lingering around quietly as they explore nests. Once they settle in, I tiptoe away tho...and they can hear I'm nearby outside on protective Roo duty. 3 are skilled daily or almost daily nest-box layers already in their first week, so I observe when they head toward the henhouse and leave them alone. Love it when their schedule is so consistent I can go out and find a fresh warm egg when expected! I like to give attention and reward soon after laying also so they feel like the Top Chick and enjoy the new daily routine.

MIne are mostly Brown layers so I am watching times/size and color patterns closely. I misplaced the Oyster shells in the build the Coop shuffle - but I'd been saving free-range store eggshells for feed supplement. I try to observe if the crushed eggshells I stack and scatter for them are disappearing, and their enthusiasm for them, to gauge if I should offer more.

Mine are new layers who have loved grape leaves and other greens since about week 5, with full ration of commercial Starter feeds first thing in the morning and with snacks mid-day and late afternoon. My feed has been corn and soy-free non- GMO Starter crumbles from Kalmbach in early weeks, then BarAle pellets which they hated until I added water to it, next month - BarAle's awesome Wild Bird mix as snack, after a full morning ration of Crumbles Week 14-18. From week 18 on - Scratch-N-Peck (pre-lay) Grower whole Grain feed, with handfuls of Bar Ale mix added - a month before their first eggs at week 20. The BarAle Seed mix keeps regular feeds interesting, and the Whole Grain Scratch n Peck is now offered side by side with layer feed, so they can choose. After first eggs, Kalmbachs layer crumbles were offered to known layers, and to any who wanted the 2nd week, as I'm not totally sure who may have laid a yard egg or in the box without my knowing she was there. I make sure they all have at least an hour of sun a day and a dry place to flop for dust AND sunbathing - as getting D3 is important for calcium metabolism. All have had firm intact looking shells - but I think they still need more calcium as a couple seemed to break easily. In the 2nd week of laying one egg has been much larger (or sneakily produced by the largest Barred Rock - but I can't imagine her being quiet or undramatic about ANYthing - so how could i miss it?!) At least 5 of my 7 are laying, at wk 21 - and I'm excited to go out to check on them even in cold weather. Good luck - and have fun!

Last edited:
I have found 1 or 2 of these type of soft shell eggs before too. All of my leghorns started laying pretty early & now everyone else is falling into line like dominoes. As long as she doesn’t keep laying these type of eggs, I wouldn’t stress too much. But like others have mentioned, keep oyster shell free choice & they will eat it as needed. 😊 mine are on the Purina Layena as well & it seems to do really well for their health & reproductive health.

Back
Top Bottom