What the heck just came out of my chicken?

Mar 5, 2023
Checking the coop this morning I found something strange in the droppings. Next to a bunch of normal poop was a white one, 3 to 5 millimeters thick and about 4 cm long. It's white and has the look and consistency of cooked egg white. I cut it open and it looks homogeneous throughout, but lengthwise and in cross sections - white, and like almost cooked egg white.

What is this? A giant piece of tapeworm? An unusual lash egg?

It looks a bit powdery in the photo because I dropped it on some diatomaceous earth when picking it up.

1000021514.jpg

Can you take pictures of inside of it? It looks like infection to me. Does anyone look off? Check their crops at night, see if someone isn't eating.
1000021517.jpg
1000021516.jpg

Pardon the dirty nail 😅

One of them, who I also suspect is responsible for the white thing because of where she slept last night, was looking off in the morning the day before yesterday. A bit lethargic, no appetite. We fed her whatever goodies she would eat and kept her separate for the day and by afternoon she was back to running around. Yesterday she ate loads and was normal.

In the past week we also had three soft shelled eggs laid outside of the nesting boxes, and I think Nanuq, the suspect, once went to the nesting box without laying. She laid a normal egg yesterday though. We've been giving them all extra calcium this week.

We've had a lot of trouble with red mites this season (so many deep cleans!), and it's been a while since we dewormed them with anything but herbs. Maybe it's worse than we think and it's causing issues. We're treating with exzolt this coming week, and will try to get some flubendazol for worming (we have levamisol but I'm always hesitant to use it).

In the article you shared she speaks about viral salpingitis and says that's when there would be white/gelatinous lash eggs rather than the usual ones, so that's what I went on.
You're correct. The article also states it could be bacterial. As you know, antibiotics have no effect with virus's. You have nothing to lose by trying an antibiotic. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom