What the heck just came out of my chicken?

You're correct. The article also states it could be bacterial. As you know, antibiotics have no effect with virus's. You have nothing to lose by trying an antibiotic. Good luck.
This is an opinion. I cant agree that giving such medicines are harmless.
Giving antibiotics that doesn’t address the illness , weakens a chicken and can even kill her because you kill all the good bacteria too.
I really hate it that people advice to give antibiotics to chickens not knowing for sure. Because this way people are creating resistant bacteria. In my country this is a real problem nowadays.

@A Swede in France , I hope your chicken gets better of course. But I never gave antibiotics or any other medicines and I dare to say that my chickens are healthy. And I had only very few losses due health problems.

Last edited:
This is an opinion. I cant agree that giving such medicines are harmless.
Giving antibiotics that doesn’t address the illness , weakens a chicken and can even kill her because you kill all the good bacteria.
I really hate it that people advice to give antibiotics to chickens not knowing for sure. Because this way people are creating resistant bacteria. In my country this is a real problem nowadays.

@A Swede in France , I hope your chicken gets better of course. But I never gave antibiotics or any other medicines and I dare to say that my chickens are healthy. And I had only very few losses due health problems.
Yep, I agree and will definitely hold off unless things get worse 🧡 for now I'm just working to support their immune systems with some extra vitamins, herbs and garlic.

Herbs and even fine chopped grasses are good for fresh vitamins. My chickens always eat grasses if they free range.

Maybe a little warning is the best I can give you now. If a chickens looks ill, she is often very ill. Has to do with being a prey animal. I had a chicken with an internal infection once. Looking back I should have given her extra calcium when she laid soft shell eggs, that might (maybe) have helped. When I saw her swollen abdomen, I was too late anyway. She was a Naine de Tournaisis, a breed probably with inbreeding issues (small gene pool). I learned to accept that keeping chickens is a nice hobby, but it comes with casualties and unexpected misery every now and then. I had red mite too last summer. Besides the DE, I can recommend using control rolls (biscuit paper) attached to the roost, to check and do something before things get out of hand.

If you like some advice on chicken health care or other chicken things in France you can address @ManueB. She a wonderful person who lives in the French Alps.

Herbs and even fine chopped grasses are good for fresh vitamins. My chickens always eat grasses if they free range.

Maybe a little warning is the best I can give you now. If a chickens looks ill, she is often very ill. Has to do with being a prey animal. I had a chicken with an internal infection once. Looking back I should have given her extra calcium when she laid soft shell eggs, that might (maybe) have helped. When I saw her swollen abdomen, I was too late anyway. She was a Naine de Tournaisis, a breed probably with inbreeding issues (small gene pool). I learned to accept that keeping chickens is a nice hobby, but it comes with casualties and unexpected misery every now and then. I had red mite too last summer. Besides the DE, I can recommend using control rolls (biscuit paper) attached to the roost, to check and do something before things get out of hand.

If you like some advice on chicken health care or other chicken things in France you can address @ManueB. She a wonderful person who lives in the French Alps.
Thank you!

My girls free-range in a large area every day so have access to lots of grass and insects. I give them thyme, oregano, chili and garlic as extra support, and anyone who's looking off gets scrambled eggs, mealworms and fruit. And yes definitely, once they are visibly ill it's often too late. I hate it and take it very hard when they die but I'm learning to catch things early and also to not over react with antibiotics because it can indeed lead to problems in itself.

I was really heartened when Nanuq perked up so quickly. She's still acting normal, eating with good appetite, etc but I'm keeping a close eye on her health and laying. We've had a scary run of inexplicable and fatal non-respiratory illness in the past months so I'm super vigilant. I still find it hard to judge what's normal tiredness from moulting and the temperature dropping, and what's cause for serious concern.

Apart from loosing feathers I only notice my chickens are slowing down a little when they moult.They never loose over 50% their feathers at the same time. But 25% looks bad enough too.
IMG_3501.jpeg

I ordered a bag of chick feed to give them a little protein boost with less calcium. The all stopped laying now.

Apart from loosing feathers I only notice my chickens are slowing down a little when they moult.They never loose over 50% their feathers at the same time. But 25% looks bad enough too.
View attachment 3670955
I ordered a bag of chick feed to give them a little protein boost with less calcium. The all stopped laying now.
My moulting ones are snacking on mealworms and scrambled eggs :) They can really be a pitiful sight!!

Back
Top Bottom